Fedora 30 Planning To Use Wayland-Enabled Firefox By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    The mutter developers are also gutting the xorg bits. Fedora 31 without x?
    why would fedora or mutter developers break every legacy app? they are not so stupid

Comment

I guess I'll have to start filing bugs on Wayland Firefox because it certainly doesn't work well with HiDPI for me. It's super buggy and can't seem to decide what scaling setting to use. Sometimes it even does its UI at different scales than the content.

Comment

Originally posted by Konstantin A. View Post
        It's time i guess, after 10 years, to swallow their pride, and develop something new. I mean soon, it will start considered an old protocol...
        so instead of "crashes every few hours" it is time for you to "does not work at all" ? i'm happy that you are not developing software

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          why would fedora or mutter developers break every legacy app? they are not so stupid
          “Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.”
          Albert Einstein

Comment

F29 does crash a bit more often than desired. That may be due to the AND GPU drivers but there is an issue that many of us note. Generally it involves a frozen video screen and an unresponsive keyboard.

Comment

all good things eventually come to their end!! I’m sure none of us want to revert to their Apple 2 or Z80 systems.

That isn’t to say Wayland is the right path but let’s face it X was getting long in the tooth.

Comment

Still waiting for hardware accelerated video encoding / decoding in Firefox on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                  F29 does crash a bit more often than desired. That may be due to the AND GPU drivers but there is an issue that many of us note. Generally it involves a frozen video screen and an unresponsive keyboard.
                  i really don't wanna be that guy but so far using gnome 3.30.2 on ArchLinux with Wayland session has been rock solid on my TAHITI GPU(R9-280 3Gb) and my CapeVerde(HD 7770) with Linux-zen and AMDGPU drivers. is it possible that something in fedora is triggering the crashes? and is not gnome?.

Also note Plasma wayland doesn't fail for me either on ArchLinux(it do have glitches but those are explicit missing features that are coming in 5.15 so)

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
                    Also note Plasma wayland doesn't fail for me either on ArchLinux(it do have glitches but those are explicit missing features that are coming in 5.15 so)
                    Plasma Wayland is good, except for this nasty bugger: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=387313
                    KDE developers have hard time fixing it so far.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                      While it could be viewed as a security risk it is in many cases possible to ssh into the machine when X is frozen if you have a sshd server running. You could login from another system or a phone or tablet. Saving dmesg > usefulfile.txt may be enough to give you a clue as to what went wrong.

It's not like you can just file a bug with the dmesg error output and have it fixed within days but it does let you find out if it's a common problem or not and sometimes you can find a workaround.

Comment

Working...
                      X