Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Now Has Virtual Desktop Support On Wayland

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • KDE Now Has Virtual Desktop Support On Wayland

    Phoronix: KDE Now Has Virtual Desktop Support On Wayland

    Thanks to a new dedicated protocol for KWayland/KWin around virtual desktops, that support is finally in place. This stems from a two and a half year old bug report for said support...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...irtual-Desktop

  • #2
    I remember using Enlightenment window manager ages ago and it had this nice virtual desktop feature where you could pan about on a giant virtual desktop. It was like your monitor was just a window that shows part of a huge desktop. That worked really well. I'm surprised none of the window managers I've used since have that feature. It's especially surprising considering, it's quite intuitive for anyone who has played many video games. RTS games, for instance, have this exact behaviour. You could even make a mini-map for your virtual desktop just like RTS games have so you can find your way around quicker.

    Comment


    • #3
      So every compositor/window manager needs to implement this themselves? That seems like a bit of a waste. Is this also the case for X11?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
        I remember using Enlightenment window manager ages ago and it had this nice virtual desktop feature where you could pan about on a giant virtual desktop. It was like your monitor was just a window that shows part of a huge desktop. That worked really well. I'm surprised none of the window managers I've used since have that feature. It's especially surprising considering, it's quite intuitive for anyone who has played many video games. RTS games, for instance, have this exact behaviour. You could even make a mini-map for your virtual desktop just like RTS games have so you can find your way around quicker.
        kwin has had such stuff since years or possibly decades.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by aaahaaap View Post
          So every compositor/window manager needs to implement this themselves? That seems like a bit of a waste. Is this also the case for X11?
          <ugh> ... newsflash ... window managers don't write themselves

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
            I remember using Enlightenment window manager ages ago and it had this nice virtual desktop feature where you could pan about on a giant virtual desktop. It was like your monitor was just a window that shows part of a huge desktop. That worked really well. I'm surprised none of the window managers I've used since have that feature.
            just move the mouse pointer in the top left corner on a proper configured KDE from the last decade

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Berniyh View Post
              kwin has had such stuff since years or possibly decades.
              I might try KDE again at some point. Whenever I've tried it in the past, it has been ugly and buggy. The uglyness has been the main issue for me. It might just be my own taste. I've always preferred the look of GTK+ apps.

              Another thing is that I really don't like C++. I use plenty of apps that use it, but I tend towards apps that use a language I prefer so that I can patch them myself if I want. Gnome, Enlightenment and many other window managers I've used are written in C, sometimes with parts written in other languages (like Python). Much nicer IMO.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post

                I might try KDE again at some point. Whenever I've tried it in the past, it has been ugly and buggy. The uglyness has been the main issue for me. It might just be my own taste. I've always preferred the look of GTK+ apps.
                well, when you login and give up because you don't like how the defaults appear it's your fault

                my KDE desktop has nothing in common with what the developers find beauty
                but other then GNOME it's configureable

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by hreindl View Post

                  well, when you login and give up because you don't like how the defaults appear it's your fault

                  my KDE desktop has nothing in common with what the developers find beauty
                  but other then GNOME it's configureable
                  Yep. That's the beauty with KDE. It has so many customization options it isn't funny. Add in QTCurve and Kvantum for themes...maybe a tiling script for KWin for tiling weirdos...and the possibilities are endless. Any desktop look and feel from Gnome 3 to Windows 95 to OSX can be emulated with various KDE settings and addons like Latte Dock.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                    maybe a tiling script for KWin for tiling weirdos...
                    How dare you!
                    kwin tiling scripts are not the same. Fortunately, the Plasma desktop can run with other WMs as well. Not on wayland obviously and we're missing the benefits of kwin compositing in this case. But it's something.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X