X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• microcode
    replied
    Originally posted by xerpi View Post
    For single app full-screen only environments wouldn't it be more suitable to just run over DRM/KMS directly (and maybe use libinput to simplify the gathering of input)?
    Having tried using DRM/KMS directly, I can say that it is a bit of a PITA; though I tend to agree that this is the better way to do things like this. On the flip side, it wouldn't be that hard to put the compositor and the client in the same process, replacing the client library with something that does the same thing while also hosting a compositor in the process.

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by SystemCrasher View Post
    I guess kiosk could be useful for my use cases. But author of this thing is clearly insane, demanding python, meson, ninja and so on just to build... one stupid C file!!! The only worse approach to building software I've seen is some high-profile enterprise dev from google, demanding java and gradle to build one C++ file . This thing surely wins 2nd place in this RH-induced build system madness.
    *nod* If you're making something so simple and compact, it seems only reasonable to look up how to use the traditional "everyone who develops has it" ./configure && make && make install approach.

Leave a comment:

• SystemCrasher
    replied
    I guess kiosk could be useful for my use cases. But author of this thing is clearly insane, demanding python, meson, ninja and so on just to build... one stupid C file!!! The only worse approach to building software I've seen is some high-profile enterprise dev from google, demanding java and gradle to build one C++ file . This thing surely wins 2nd place in this RH-induced build system madness.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Can it run Firefox?
    Can it run Chromium?
    Can it run Epiphany? (GNOME Web)
    It can run the experimental Firefox with Wayland compatibility and Chromium samesies. It can run GNOME Web perfectly fine since it's been ported over to Wayland for a long time now.

Leave a comment:

• totoz
    replied
    It fits in a single C source file of less than 1000 lines.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
    Since Mir already works under Wayland and has a kiosk mode, how is this any different?
    It's tiny and simple I guess.

Leave a comment:

• profoundWHALE
    replied
    Since Mir already works under Wayland and has a kiosk mode, how is this any different?

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Can it run Firefox?
    Can it run Chromium?
    "Cage does not support Xwayland, nor any protocols other than xdg-shell."

This is something simple for running some simple GUI for an embedded device in simple automation. Like say a Python GUI framework. No need to have a whole internet browser pointing to a local web application and dabble with "web technology" if all you want is showing some buttons on a touch screen.

Btw, there are at least 4 different kiosk distros that come pre-configured and locked down for browser-based kiosks.
    Last edited by starshipeleven; 27 December 2018, 09:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Can it run Firefox?
    Can it run Chromium?

Leave a comment:

• kbumsik
    replied
    Doesn't Qt Wayland Compositor do that job?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X