Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Look At The Wayland/Weston Development Stats For 2018

Phoronix: A Look At The Wayland/Weston Development Stats For 2018

This year was interesting for Wayland with the compositor support continuing to mature for both GNOME Shell and KDE Plasma, the smaller but very interesting i3-inspired Sway nearing its 1.0 release, NVIDIA working on EGLStreams support for the KWin compositor, and other advancements. But at the same time the year was unfortunate in that Samsung let go of their Wayland developers as part of their OSG restructuring, which had contributed heavily to the upstream project. Here's a look at Wayland/Weston 2018 by the numbers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    Mutter as a wayland compositor works fine these days. The remaining x11 bits are about to get cleaned up and isolated.
    Just hope GNOME-Shell doesn't crash.

Comment

Has this project met even a single of its initial goals yet? What does it do better that xorg nowadays? Is it more performant, is it tear free, does it crash nowadays, does it use Vulkan or other APIs to offload rendering fully in GPU?

I am not trolling here, just that I haven't tried it for a while, and last time round it was still a non-production toy. And the news are mostly the type - we're adding this brick, that feature. Is this converging somewhere, i.e., has it matured enough to be used carelessly by a grandma with KDE desktop and don't think about it at all?

Comment

Interesting. I thought uid313 would be repeating a bunch of the same questions for the nth time, but it seems like clavko has beat him to the punch this time lol

Comment

It would be nice if Wayland would add a standard means to do application<-> server network transparency (app can display on another computer besides where it is running (over ssh). The other biggie is the need for a rootless wayland server that can run on an X server so wayland apps can be displayed to an X server. If these things were added I would be much more supportive of Wayland.
          Last edited by jpg44; 26 December 2018, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by clavko View Post
            Has this project met even a single of its initial goals yet? What does it do better that xorg nowadays? Is it more performant, is it tear free, does it crash nowadays, does it use Vulkan or other APIs to offload rendering fully in GPU?

I am not trolling here, just that I haven't tried it for a while, and last time round it was still a non-production toy. And the news are mostly the type - we're adding this brick, that feature. Is this converging somewhere, i.e., has it matured enough to be used carelessly by a grandma with KDE desktop and don't think about it at all?
            Plus side:
            • You can scale 2 displays independendly
            • You can scale those displays with fractions (experimental for now)
            • some messy stuff seems isolated, I have a game (Into the breach) lockup the X11 desktop when going fullscreen, with wayland only the game itself hangs
            Negative:
            • Desktop can be extreme sluggish, to the point where the applets (Menu, dash to dock) take seconds to react or forget mouse events. playing a youtube video is enough to trigger it.
            • cant get X11 apps to correctly pick my primary screen (games do alot weird shit when I move them over), which usually means I have to deactivate the second screen.
            • compatibility with apps
            So pick your poison. If I had just one screen I would not look at it right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Just hope GNOME-Shell doesn't crash.
              That's the exact reason I'm sticking with Gnome on X.org for my working machine.
              Hopefully Gnome 4 would solve this problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                Interesting. I thought uid313 would be repeating a bunch of the same questions for the nth time, but it seems like clavko has beat him to the punch this time lol
                Actually I've got the same questions. it's been like years, bits of news about that or that feature being added to Wayland. Q: Is it fully usable as a replacement for X? I've seen wayland-related bits in FreeBSD ports but really have no wish to waste time with it if it's still in toy-stage..
                I would also like to know the same about Arcan display server..

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post

Actually I've got the same questions. it's been like years, bits of news about that or that feature being added to Wayland. Q: Is it fully usable as a replacement for X? I've seen wayland-related bits in FreeBSD ports but really have no wish to waste time with it if it's still in toy-stage..
                  I would also like to know the same about Arcan display server..
                  Wayland is getting there, Arcan is on par with X functionality, so it surpassed Wayland in terms of usability. The only con is that there's currently only one DE/WM available and that's the built-in one. It's pretty nice and not that hard to learn, but don't expect to install Arcan and get GNOME or KDE or i3 or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                    Wayland is getting there, Arcan is on par with X functionality, so it surpassed Wayland in terms of usability. The only con is that there's currently only one DE/WM available and that's the built-in one. It's pretty nice and not that hard to learn, but don't expect to install Arcan and get GNOME or KDE or i3 or something.
                    Thanks. I was looking at Arcan mostly because it seems to have BSD compatibility. It seems satisfyingly nice on screenshots in Internet.

Comment

Working...
                    X