Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mir 1.1 Released With EGLStreams KMS Support To Work With NVIDIA's Binary Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mir 1.1 Released With EGLStreams KMS Support To Work With NVIDIA's Binary Driver

Phoronix: Mir 1.1 Released With EGLStreams KMS Support To Work With NVIDIA's Binary Driver

The Canonical developers maintaining the Mir display server with its modern focus on being a Wayland compositor have just issued Mir 1.1...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't care about Mir per se, but it's awesome that Nvidia's binary driver will FINALLY be supported by Wayland (and Mir), because Nouveau while a great project - in real life is only good for installing the Nvidia binary driver (because it doesn't support Vulkan, is a lot slower at OpenGL, no hw video decoding, very slow at supporting new hw, new standards and whatnot).

Comment

hey look at that! Mir supports proprietary drivers, as promised!

Your turn wayland!

/s

Comment

People still not understanding that Wayland is a freaking protocol and Mir is no longer its own thing but rather it DOES freaking Wayland!

Comment

Anyone know if it'll be possible to run KDE Plasma desktop with Mir?

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
            I don't care about Mir per se, but it's awesome that Nvidia's binary driver will FINALLY be supported by Wayland (and Mir), because Nouveau while a great project - in real life is only good for installing the Nvidia binary driver (because it doesn't support Vulkan, is a lot slower at OpenGL, no hw video decoding, very slow at supporting new hw, new standards and whatnot).
            To be quite honest vesa is a safer way for installing drivers as it has no way of crashing since any acceleration support is missing.

Comment

Originally posted by Pepec9124 View Post

To be quite honest vesa is a safer way for installing drivers as it has no way of crashing since any acceleration support is missing.
              Why do you need a GUI for driver installation anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                People still not understanding that Wayland is a freaking protocol and Mir is no longer its own thing but rather it DOES freaking Wayland!
                I do understand it, but you apparently don't understand what people mean as you literally interpret what they say which is wrong. When I say "Wayland" I obviously mean an implementation, but it's not practical being that meticulous.

As one man at Google said - pay attention to what people mean not what they say.

Comment

Oh, how ironic. Mir is better at doing Wayland than Wayland's own advocates.
                  Next step for Ubuntu: Replace Mutter with Mir.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                    Oh, how ironic. Mir is better at doing Wayland than Wayland's own advocates.
                    Next step for Ubuntu: Replace Mutter with Mir.
                    Why do you think a lot of people were mad that Canonical was wasting their resources on custom pseudo-open projects? Of course they are supposed to bring things forward. . . Sadly this is again an Ubuntu only feature.

Comment

Working...
                    X