Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland's Weston Switching Over To The Meson Build System

Phoronix: Wayland's Weston Switching Over To The Meson Build System

Complementing the Meson build system support for Wayland itself, the Weston reference compositor now has been Meson-ized...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think GNOME Shell works much better than Weston.
    Weston have poor animations, the window placement is wrong, and many applications don't start (I think maybe because of D-Bus).
    Weston can't be configured to have the dock at the bottom instead of at the top.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      I think GNOME Shell works much better than Weston.
      Weston have poor animations, the window placement is wrong, and many applications don't start (I think maybe because of D-Bus).
      Weston can't be configured to have the dock at the bottom instead of at the top.
      Weston is a reference compositor that comes bundled with some reference shells. GNOME is a production shell that uses the Mutter compositor. You're comparing apples to oranges when all Weston was designed to do is give others an idea of how to make a fruit under Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by zamadatix View Post

Weston is a reference compositor that comes bundled with some reference shells. GNOME is a production shell that uses the Mutter compositor. You're comparing apples to oranges when all Weston was designed to do is give others an idea of how to make a fruit under Wayland.
        But maybe it is worse than tvm.

Comment

It does not matter much. It is a reference implementation to test out the protocols. Not something they expect any end user to be using. If you want to use it just to report bugs, that's fine but posting here won't accomplish much

Comment

This is really weird. You link to things we all know, but don't link to the unknown? What is "tvm"?

All I could find was this: https://docs.tvm.ai/index.html which has nothing to do with display servers, window managers or compositors.

But if you meant twm, then are you kidding me?! TWM is FAR worse than Weston! It doesn't even do animations... (this is OK-ish since it was made in the 80's anyway)

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

This is really weird. You link to things we all know, but don't link to the unknown? What is "tvm"?

All I could find was this: https://docs.tvm.ai/index.html which has nothing to do with display servers, window managers or compositors.

But if you meant twm, then are you kidding me?! TWM is FAR worse than Weston! It doesn't even do animations... (this is OK-ish since it was made in the 80's anyway)
              Yeah, I try to link to things. twm doesn't really have any website though.
              But here is a Wikipedia page.

Comment

Yeah, I try to link to things. twm doesn't really have any website though.
                But here is a Wikipedia page.
                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twm
                You said "tvm" though, so at first I thought they really made a window manager called "TVM" so I tried to look it up.

But I see now you meant twm.

Comment

Working...
                X