No announcement yet.

GNOME On Wayland Will Now Work Correctly For Non-60Hz Refresh Rates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe it should be mentioned that this work was done by Canonical.

Comment

Thanks Wayland for making every single DE having to implement things like proper display rate handling and GPU hot-plugging. The duplicated work really make Linux shine as we show a huge activity implementing the same feature over and over again.

Originally posted by llort_lemmort View Post
      No, Canonical only does horrible things. We can only complain on them...

Comment

Yes! Been following this merge request for a while. You 60hz users will also benefit even if it isn't as obvious for you, but lack of HW presentation timing is never a good thing. I believe this will also get backported to 3.28 and 3.30 so those Ubuntu LTS users benefit as well. This fixes one of my biggest gripes with GNOME on Wayland. Now if only Vulkan applications didn't immediately crash on launch... And if only Firefox stable had native Wayland support...
        Last edited by Brisse; 23 November 2018, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
          Now if only Vulkan applications didn't immediately crash on launch... And if only Firefox stable had native Wayland support...
          What's wrong with your Vulkan? Works fine for me.

As for Firefox : shouldn't be too far away. Wayland is activated by default on nightly nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

What's wrong with your Vulkan? Works fine for me.
            Pretty much anything running Vulkan in fullscreen immediately freezes and has to be terminated when I'm running GNOME on Wayland. Works fine on x.org though. Been like that since x.org 1.20 for me. Currently running Debian Sid, Linux 4.18, Mesa 18.2.5 on a Ryzen 1700X and R9 Fury. It only happens with Vulkan. OpenGL works fine. I'm considering testing AMDVLK to see if that works. Who knows, maybe it's a RADV problem?

Comment

Originally posted by llort_lemmort View Post
              Only if it's relevant. I don't think it's a secret that I love Canonical, but I love a great many Free Software individual contributors who are never mentioned. I have a very strong passion for Gnome, but in my opinion, it should be a round table thing. It shouldn't matter which organization you belong to or why you make the effort.

Comment

Quite possible. Worth a try. Or you could even try the proprietary blob ( I mean only the vulkan part; it's independently installable).

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
                  Thanks Wayland for making every single DE having to implement things like proper display rate handling and GPU hot-plugging. The duplicated work really make Linux shine as we show a huge activity implementing the same feature over and over again.
                  Your ignorance is shining. Before that every single x server had to implement a shitton of (unnecessary) stuff over and again! Much better to have one less layer and give the DE developers free hands. The duplication is almost completely eliminated if they have the clue to use something like wlroots.
                  Last edited by varikonniemi; 24 November 2018, 05:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
                    will this also work for Xwayland?
                    It will for fullscreen apps using the Present extension (i.e. mostly games). For windowed Present apps, Xwayland still uses a fake 60-ish FPS timer.

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

Pretty much anything running Vulkan in fullscreen immediately freezes and has to be terminated when I'm running GNOME on Wayland. Works fine on x.org though. Been like that since x.org 1.20 for me. Currently running Debian Sid, Linux 4.18, Mesa 18.2.5 on a Ryzen 1700X and R9 Fury. It only happens with Vulkan. OpenGL works fine.
                    Sounds like https://bugs.freedesktop.org/106713 , fixed in xserver Git master (and hopefully in an upcoming 1.20.4 release).

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
                      Thanks Wayland for making every single DE having to implement things like proper display rate handling
                      Every compositor needs this anyway, Wayland or not.

and GPU hot-plugging.
                      The flip-side of this is that multi-GPU is generally already working better with GNOME Wayland than with Xorg, and due to the respective architectures, this gap will only widen in the future.

Comment

Working...
                      X