GNOME On Wayland Will Now Work Correctly For Non-60Hz Refresh Rates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME On Wayland Will Now Work Correctly For Non-60Hz Refresh Rates

Phoronix: GNOME On Wayland Will Now Work Correctly For Non-60Hz Refresh Rates

It's been a busy week in GNOME's Mutter space as in addition to the GPU hot-plugging and DisplayLink improvements, Mutter when running as a Wayland compositor will now behave correctly when setup for non-60Hz display refresh rates...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

will this also work for Xwayland?

Comment

The author of this patch had to insist quite a lot to get this integrated. Well, one total disaster less.
      Now to a proper mouse cursor and non-blocking compositing performance...

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
        Now to a proper mouse cursor
        What's the issue with the mouse cursor? Have not heard of this complaint before.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
          The author of this patch had to insist quite a lot to get this integrated. Well, one total disaster less.
          Now to a proper mouse cursor and non-blocking compositing performance...
          Maybe because people that don't have above 60 Hz screens don't know how much more nicer they are. The fluidity of a DE on a high refresh screen is a sight to behold.

Same thing with high resolution screens.

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post

What's the issue with the mouse cursor? Have not heard of this complaint before.
            Maybe this: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=745032

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post
              It easily stutters with high CPU load, which is ridiculous for a hardware cursor.

Comment

Vanvugt has a lot of nice optimizations/fixes queued, hope we'll see most of them landing. The 60hz thing might also get backported, so we don't need to wait for 3.32.
                Propper highdpi support is also around the corner.
                I personally value the move to gitlab (including automated testing) and the meson build support a lot. It makes the development process so much nicer...i exspect it to accelerate the development speed of gnome quite a bit

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

Maybe because people that don't have above 60 Hz screens don't know how much more nicer they are. The fluidity of a DE on a high refresh screen is a sight to behold.

Same thing with high resolution screens.
                  Just yesterday i found a magic combination of settings to knock plasma into 100+ fps mode. Now at times i spend some time dragging windows around or minimizing and restoring them just so i could observe fluid animations. Still have to give this up when watching video because its either high fps or tearing. Sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by bitman View Post

Just yesterday i found a magic combination of settings to knock plasma into 100+ fps mode. Now at times i spend some time dragging windows around or minimizing and restoring them just so i could observe fluid animations. Still have to give this up when watching video because its either high fps or tearing. Sucks.
                    Is this on Wayland?

Comment

Working...
                    X