Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME's Mutter On Wayland Will Now Support GPU Hot-Plugging

Phoronix: GNOME's Mutter On Wayland Will Now Support GPU Hot-Plugging

GNOME's Mutter compositor native back-end will now deal with GPU hot-plugging at run-time and begin managing its display outputs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great. Does this mean it will eventually support GPU recovery as well?

(since GPU recovery is like disconnecting and then connecting the faulty GPU)
    Last edited by tildearrow; 22 November 2018, 02:41 AM.

Comment

Glad to see it's going. Hopefully better support for outputs attached to eGPU will be implemented too: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gamin...egpu_on_linux/

Comment

Good, what about async input processing?

Comment

So... will I be able to swap video cards, reboot, and continue as normal? Without reinstalling or fussing with the kernel?

Comment

Originally posted by buzzrobot View Post
            So... will I be able to swap video cards, reboot, and continue as normal? Without reinstalling or fussing with the kernel?
            This has nothing to do with this. This is about hotplugging which has to do runtime reconfiguration without needing to restart.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              Great. Does this mean it will eventually support GPU recovery as well?

(since GPU recovery is like disconnecting and then connecting the faulty GPU)
              GPU recovery is something else entirely, it has to be supported by your GPU driver (eg. recent amdgpu claims to support it now)

Comment

This is more about for example running a Thunderbolt eGPU with your laptop and being able to plug / unplug it when the computer is on and everything working smoothly. Something I really miss on linux, it works great with my mac but not at all on linux currently, and I really need to it be able to use Linux as my main work OS.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzrobot View Post
                  I am confused. Where is the problem with this? I have been doing it for years (though I have never tried with nVidia cards). This is more about doing it live (hence "hot"-plug), without the need for reboot in-between. Specifically aimed at external GPU enclosures.

Comment

Working...
                  X