Wayland Secure Output Protocol Proposed For Upstream - HDCP-Like Behavior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
    WTF, I've been waiting for years for Wayland to come to the Linux desktop and it's still not ready, but they're already thinking to add DRM to it ?
    I've been using (X)Wayland on my laptop and workstation for over 2 years, so for my use case it's been ready for years.

I thought that Linux and open source software was about freedom, but I see now that the freedom is fading with the huge Hollywood greed.
    Like boxie said you can still choose. For me that's another reason why I choose to stay away from Ubuntu. Many people prefer Ubuntu over something like Trisquel. I don't blame them, it's not easy or appealing to use libre systems at this point in time.

Comment

I would like a good permissions system for apps to avoid apps spying on me.
      Last I heard Wayland still hasn't good protocols for screenshots and screen recording.
      How is that going? Is this DRM issue due to protocol development around adding screenshot and recording functionality?

Don't like DRM but if Wayland needs to span all the usual use cases, some way of interfacing with DRM will need to be standardized in protocol(s).

Comment

WTF, I've been waiting for years for Wayland to come to the Linux desktop and it's still not ready, but they're already thinking to add DRM to it ?
        I thought that Linux and open source software was about freedom, but I see now that the freedom is fading with the huge Hollywood greed.
        If you're so pro-freedom, then why do you not give them the freedom to implement DRM?

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
          I'm assuming this is for Google and their Chromebooks. People won't use Chromebooks if they can't watch their hi-def Netflix. As someone who's worked with Netflix, the movie studios' demands are ridiculous, and Netflix takes every precaution necessary to avoid contributing to piracy.
          Didn't Netflix state at some point that they're not particularly a fan of DRM, it's just that their license agreements with various studios require it?

Comment

Instead of implementing unethical DRM trash, let Wayland developers actually work on features useful for everyone that are severely missing. Did they already iron out standard protocol for screen capturing and screenshots? What about unified way to configure input across all compositors?

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

If you're so pro-freedom, then why do you not give them the freedom to implement DRM?
              That's a fallacy. If you are pro-freedom, you shouldn't agree with implementing police state approach.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I am pro-freedom as long as it doesn't restrict my freedom.
                Giving them the freedom to implement DRM is like giving them the freedom to build a jail around me.
                So in this case is my freedom takes precedence before their freedom
                Or our freedom takes precedence before Hollywood or any other greedy group freedom.
                At least this is how it is supposed to be and I stand my ground to protect my freedom against any greedy group.

Comment

Quote from the actual patch:
                  This is not a way to implement any kind of Digital Rights Management on desktops.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Hollywood wants it, they don't care its stupid.
                    Actually medical and financial want it.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

Quote from the actual patch:

This is not a way to implement any kind of Digital Rights Management on desktops.
                      How is this an excuse, if it's for DRM not on desktops? It's still for DRM.

Comment

Working...
                      X