Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wayland Secure Output Protocol Proposed For Upstream - HDCP-Like Behavior

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wayland Secure Output Protocol Proposed For Upstream - HDCP-Like Behavior

    Phoronix: Wayland Secure Output Protocol Proposed For Upstream - HDCP-Like Behavior

    Collabora developer Scott Anderson sent out a "request for comments" patch series that would add a Secure Output Protocol to the Wayland space...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ure-Output-RFC

  • #2
    Meh, DRM is boring and I don't want it.
    Can't they spend their time on something that people actually want?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Meh, DRM is boring and I don't want it.
      Can't they spend their time on something that people actually want?
      Hollywood wants it, they don't care its stupid.

      Comment


      • #4
        hrm - first thought - ensuring that in a secure environment that all comms are secure is cool.

        second though - can SSH/TLS be classed as secure for a remote display ?

        Comment


        • #5
          WTF, I've been waiting for years for Wayland to come to the Linux desktop and it's still not ready, but they're already thinking to add DRM to it ?
          I thought that Linux and open source software was about freedom, but I see now that the freedom is fading with the huge Hollywood greed.

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm assuming this is for Google and their Chromebooks. People won't use Chromebooks if they can't watch their hi-def Netflix. As someone who's worked with Netflix, the movie studios' demands are ridiculous, and Netflix takes every precaution necessary to avoid contributing to piracy.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
              WTF, I've been waiting for years for Wayland to come to the Linux desktop and it's still not ready, but they're already thinking to add DRM to it ?
              I thought that Linux and open source software was about freedom, but I see now that the freedom is fading with the huge Hollywood greed.
              you still have freedom, you can choose to use it or not. no need for hyperbole

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
                I'm assuming this is for Google and their Chromebooks. People won't use Chromebooks if they can't watch their hi-def Netflix. As someone who's worked with Netflix, the movie studios' demands are ridiculous, and Netflix takes every precaution necessary to avoid contributing to piracy.
                at the same time, the movie studios will take months getting back and require a whole lot of hand holding hen you ask "ah yeah, we dynamically rotate our keys every 5 minutes rather than just encrypting everything ones with the same one - is that cool?"

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Britoid View Post

                  Hollywood wants it, they don't care its stupid.
                  Well, Hollywood seems to think that movies and TV shows are classified military and government secrets. That's why they need so much protection - I mean, imagine how many billions of people would die, and how badly messed up the world would be, if they weren't protecting copyrighted video and audio with such great ferocity.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by boxie View Post

                    you still have freedom, you can choose to use it or not. no need for hyperbole
                    Uh what? No you don't choose it. Google added this so they can use it with Chrome. That means the closed source version shipping on ChromeOS (assuming they ever use Wayland) and the closed source version you download for Linux desktops (i.e google-chrome not chromium) will use this. In fact, even Chromium might have this enabled and turned on by default. Unless you're running Chromium, you don't have a choice as to whether or not this gets used.

                    Main question is will they make it so that you need HDCP for watching any kind of copyrighted media? Netflix and Prime Video atleast play SD video through the browser without requiring Flash and other crap, but is Google planning to cut that off and only show if full verified HDCP support is present?
                    Last edited by sandy8925; 19 November 2018, 11:27 AM. Reason: I added Chrome on Android earlier, but we're talking about Wayland so it was not applicable

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X