Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• microcode
    replied
    Much love for primary selection. It is a feature I miss dearly in Wayland applications. It is a seriously useful feature.

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Originally posted by rabcor View Post
    Also if you were asking me to give examples of applications where I use autoscrolling... 'Office' software, (some)Instant Messaging, PDF readers, and although rare I sometimes use it in terminal emulators.
    Even as someone who regularly uses autoscrolling, I've pretty much never needed it for things like office software, instant messengers, and especially terminals. Autoscroll is impractical for programs where you need to scroll to a precise location, such as the ones you listed. As for PDFs, since modern web browsers can view them, you can easily autoscroll when reading them.
    And no, you are not hearing me. You literally must have not even read what I wrote.
    There's a big difference between not hearing you and disagreeing. You made your points pretty clear, I'm just telling you you're making this seem like a much worse problem than it really is.
    (Read the first half, read it very carefully, because I don't want to have to point it out a third time)
    Yet you decided to just ignore that, of course I'd become hostile if you throw me exactly the bullshit I specifically asked not to deal with.
    Ignoring what? You said to not bring up extensions as a solution. I'm telling you that even in Windows, extensions are necessary for Chrome. How are you not understanding this?
    The fact that middle-click pasting can't be disabled through any simple means is not a non-issue. The fact that there is no proper implementation of autoscrolling in neither evdev nor libinput is also not a non-issue.
    That's because for any normal Linux user, disabling middle-click pasting isn't typically desirable and that's been the case for over 20 years. Therefore, it is a non-issue. The fact that programs that typically warrant autoscrolling supply it (except for Chrome, for whatever reason) makes it a non-issue.
    It might not be something you care about, but you are not the sum of everyone.
    Hyprocrite.
    Middle-click paste might not be something you care about, but you are not the sum of everyone.
    Also, I didn't say I don't care about autoscroll. As I have clearly established (are you reading properly?) I also use it regularly.

Anyway, if you really care so much about removing middle-click paste easily, use Wayland - it doesn't work there. Also in case you're not aware, middle-clicking on the scroll bar tends to be a much better alternative in most applications.
    Last edited by schmidtbag; 16 November 2018, 02:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rabcor
    replied
    Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

I got the impression that, when schmidtbag wrote "(and to my knowledge, autoscroll in Chrome can only be done through extensions)", the intent was to say "and, as far as I know, Chrome does something which breaks desktop-provided autoscroll, so you need an extension to overrule that."

Given what I've seen of Chrome's middle-click handling when developing web applications, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Chrome has code which prevents auto-scroll from being triggered "because a web app might want to hang custom behaviour off the middle mouse button".

(Chrome is stupid that way. I have to explicitly write an "if it's not the left button, ignore it" check in my onclick handlers, while Firefox does the sane thing of reserving onclick (which is used for progressive enhancement of links) for left-clicks and letting people who want to customize the middle button use onmousedown and onmouseup instead.)
    If that was it then no, I have an autoscroll implementation that works system-wide, and chrome has no problems with it.

Originally posted by schmidtbag
    To my recollection, most programs in Windows didn't allow autoscrolling without an extension either, so as far as I'm concerned, you're complaining about a non-issue and you are getting WAY too hostile over it.
    Windows has system implemented autoscrolling, programs simply need to support it there's no need for an extension, windows's autoscroll works quite well with chrome and several other applications that I use.

Also if you were asking me to give examples of applications where I use autoscrolling... 'Office' software, (some)Instant Messaging, PDF readers, and although rare I sometimes use it in terminal emulators.

And no, you are not hearing me. You literally must have not even read what I wrote.

(And don't throw bullshit at me like how I can enable autoscrolling in browsers with extensions, I use it outside of browsing too, occasionally)
    (Read the first half, read it very carefully, because I don't want to have to point it out a third time)
    Yet you decided to just ignore that, of course I'd become hostile if you throw me exactly the bullshit I specifically asked not to deal with.

The fact that middle-click pasting can't be disabled through any simple means is not a non-issue. The fact that there is no proper implementation of autoscrolling in neither evdev nor libinput is also not a non-issue. It might not be something you care about, but you are not the sum of everyone.

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    You're not fucking hearing me, because I was not talking about stupid fucking extensions was I? is it possible to implement both? Probably. can I do that with a fucking bash script and xdotool? no fucking way.
    Actually, I hear you loud-and-fucking-clear. Mind explaining what you were talking about at the bottom of this post?:
    https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...77#post1060777
    And yes, it is easy to enable both, without scripts. Since I first started using Linux over a decade ago, I figured out I could use both without having to configure anything.
    To my recollection, most programs in Windows didn't allow autoscrolling without an extension either, so as far as I'm concerned, you're complaining about a non-issue and you are getting WAY too hostile over it.

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied

You're not fucking hearing me, because I was not talking about stupid fucking extensions was I? is it possible to implement both? Probably. can I do that with a fucking bash script and xdotool? no fucking way.
    I got the impression that, when schmidtbag wrote "(and to my knowledge, autoscroll in Chrome can only be done through extensions)", the intent was to say "and, as far as I know, Chrome does something which breaks desktop-provided autoscroll, so you need an extension to overrule that."

Given what I've seen of Chrome's middle-click handling when developing web applications, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Chrome has code which prevents auto-scroll from being triggered "because a web app might want to hang custom behaviour off the middle mouse button".

(Chrome is stupid that way. I have to explicitly write an "if it's not the left button, ignore it" check in my onclick handlers, while Firefox does the sane thing of reserving onclick (which is used for progressive enhancement of links) for left-clicks and letting people who want to customize the middle button use onmousedown and onmouseup instead.)

Leave a comment:

• rabcor
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Not true - I use both middle-click paste and autoscroll just fine (and to my knowledge, autoscroll in Chrome can only be done through extensions). All you have to do is just middle-click in a place that doesn't have a text input area. Middle clicking in general works fine in Linux in every application, you just get the added bonus of a secondary clipboard. As long as you're aware of this behavior, you'll prefer to have it. I personally find it frustrating to not have middle-click paste.

Leave a comment:

• Anvil
    replied
    looks like 1.17 was pulled . i get a 404 error if i click on the download
    Last edited by Anvil; 13 November 2018, 11:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
    The copy/paste with middle button and change volume with mouse-wheel only are my preferred bragging things when talking Linux to Windows users.
    Those are good, but the one that frustrates me the most when I have to sit down at a Windows PC is when I use the scroll wheel and forget that it'll go to the active window rather than the window under the cursor. Completely brain-dead design decision.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    I too hate middle-click-paste. But you *can* actually disable it through GNOME Tweaks (or dconf-editor, whatever you prefer) and KDE System Settings. At least on X11, not sure about Wayland. But some apps are stubborn (I'm looking at you, Vivaldi) and ignore those settings.

Leave a comment:

• varikonniemi
    replied
    middle click paste is the only feature i noticed missing last time i tested plasma on wayland. Glad to see it fixed on protocol level.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X