Wayland Protocols 1.17 Brings Explicit Synchronization & Primary Selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland Protocols 1.17 Brings Explicit Synchronization & Primary Selection

Phoronix: Wayland Protocols 1.17 Brings Explicit Synchronization & Primary Selection

Jonas Ådahl of Red Hat today released a new version of Wayland-Protocols, the collection of stable and unstable protocols for extending Wayland functionality...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

middle-click-paste clipboard-like mechanism
    I never liked this mechanism, and I hate that this bullshit can't even be disabled.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
      I never liked this mechanism, and I hate that this bullshit can't even be disabled.
      It is actually very flexible for me as I can copy 2 different things and paste them respectively.

A setting would be great though.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

It is actually very flexible for me as I can copy 2 different things and paste them respectively.

A setting would be great though.
        Agreed. The inability to copy two separate things in parallel would drive me to stay on X11 for as long as feasible.

(No joke. I'm still on Kubuntu 14.04 LTS because I've been putting off upgrading to a version with the ugly CSD-heavy GTK+ app designs I encountered when I upgraded my mother's Lubuntu laptop. When I do, I plan to replace as many apps as feasible with Qt-based alternatives and put together a PPA for gtk3-mushrooms.)

Comment

It was weird to start with but I have come to rely on it. Inconsistency between apps supporting it (looking at your chrom*) is annoying.

though I do agree for a setting for toggling it

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

It was weird to start with but I have come to rely on it. Inconsistency between apps supporting it (looking at your chrom*) is annoying.

though I do agree for a setting for toggling it
            I get it, it can be a useful feature, but so can autoscrolling (a feature I have already grown accustomed to), and you can only have one or the other, and I prefer the latter even if there's no proper support for it implemented yet I managed to make my own script for it that works quite nicely. (Mouse wheel emulation in libinput and evdev is a god damn horrible and useless feature, and if I recall correctly it downright disables the ability to use the middle mouse button for anything else, which is absurd)

(And don't throw bullshit at me like how I can enable autoscrolling in browsers with extensions, I use it outside of browsing too, occasionally)

Comment

I get it, it can be a useful feature, but so can autoscrolling (a feature I have already grown accustomed to), and you can only have one or the other, and I prefer the latter even if there's no proper support for it implemented yet I managed to make my own script for it that works quite nicely. (Mouse wheel emulation in libinput and evdev is a god damn horrible and useless feature, and if I recall correctly it downright disables the ability to use the middle mouse button for anything else, which is absurd)

(And don't throw bullshit at me like how I can enable autoscrolling in browsers with extensions, I use it outside of browsing too, occasionally)
              Not true - I use both middle-click paste and autoscroll just fine (and to my knowledge, autoscroll in Chrome can only be done through extensions). All you have to do is just middle-click in a place that doesn't have a text input area. Middle clicking in general works fine in Linux in every application, you just get the added bonus of a secondary clipboard. As long as you're aware of this behavior, you'll prefer to have it. I personally find it frustrating to not have middle-click paste.

Comment

It allows one to copy and paste with just one hand on the mouse -- so I like it.

It is one of the many advantages Linux has over Microsoft's O/S's.

Pity some applications are so brain dead that they don't support it.

Comment

Originally posted by nivag View Post

It allows one to copy and paste with just one hand on the mouse -- so I like it.

It is one of the many advantages Linux has over Microsoft's O/S's.

Pity some applications are so brain dead that they don't support it.
                  AFAIK only wine and mono doesn't support it, am I wrong?

Comment

Gnome-Tweaks application has an option to disable/enable middle click paste at will.
                    Last edited by Konstantin A.; 13 November 2018, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X