No announcement yet.

Wayland's Weston Is In Severe Need Of More Development Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X dying, wayland with problems, and mir dead.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
      X dying, wayland with problems, and mir dead.
      Where is X dying? It got lots of new features in spring and will continue this next year (FreeSync, HDR, HDCP...).

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
        Do you really need more developers when all you need is rm -rf wayland weston? Really.

On a serious note: "nobody" wants to work on it because it's a shit crippled protocol and nobody wants to be constrained by decisions of idiots from GNOME.
        your a Ubuntu FanBoy? hows Mir or XMir any better ?

Comment

The fact that Weston is not developed so heavily is a sign of its maturity. It has become more independent of its core developers. Wayland already has a core protocol. It also has other established protocols like xdg-shell for desktop use. KDE has successfully used Wayland in desktop and mobile settings. Sailfish has proved Wayland on mobiles and OpenWebOS has done the same on TVs. Third party groups like Kwin and wlroots have proven they could come together and flesh out reusable protocols without any "blessings" by core Wayland devs. Google even has used Wayland creatively to create an Android runtime for ChromeOS. In fact, I would call Wayland the rare success story of many small and large Linux-focused groups finally working together.

Comment

Yeah, the poor Wayland devs need a lot of time and hard work to remove essential features from X11 and stubbornly stick to it.
            Wow, what a doofus of a comment! Seek mental health services.

Comment

When I ser wayland implementation work like Windows ir MacOS I Will be a old man

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post
                Wow, what a doofus of a comment! Seek mental health services.
                It's a known fact that features they don't use (i.e. that aren't fit for crappy mobile use) are not even considered due to their stupid agenda, so no, while I was sarcastic, I was dead on point.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

The role of a reference implementation is to prove things in the specification actually work
                  I see, well, it can be used for that other thing I said too :P

Comment

Do you really need more developers when all you need is rm -rf wayland weston? Really.

On a serious note: "nobody" wants to work on it because it's a shit crippled protocol and nobody wants to be constrained by decisions of idiots from GNOME.
                    perfectly said, I was starting learning and writing wayland clients, and I could not believe what a piece of crap it was. Any developer should know that crap is hard to maintain.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post

your a Ubuntu FanBoy? hows Mir or XMir any better ?
                      Nobody said that mir is better , I for myself dont know Mir in Detail, but I know libwayland-client and weston are exemplary pieces of crap. Should go in the hall of fame: how to write a piece of crap in 3 steps.
                      Because of that crap that people struggled with, it took like 10 years and wayland is still not widely adopted. Who wants to contribute to crap? Crap I can write myself, I dont need to start learning and struggling to understand the crap of others. Go check the official pdf of the wayland documentation.... WTF, WTF, WTF, WTF.... was my reaction. It was a documentation that doesn't allow you to write to simplest wayland client. Should have been called fairy-tale, not documentation.

Comment

Working...
                      X