Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
    Wow, the Wayland haters are out in force today
    I personally can't wait to get rid of X! Which I'll do once kwin + plasma will have agreed upon a protocol for the virtual desktop pager, and activities (though that's less important to me).

That situation with Weston seems to be quite hard to solve, as it's hard to review patches if you aren't a contributor already :/

Well, that's kind of the point, as Wayland is a protocol

There is wlroots, though, as a library that provides common bits and pieces to implement compositors without too much work.
    Edid: ninja'd on wlroots, though that's typically only used in "small budget" compositors, that implement classic desktop-type interactions, AFAIK?
    I can't wait to switch either, but even with 5.14, plasma-wayland still isn't working for me, despite the fact that I only have an Intel card (2018 laptop model with 2017 hardware, so the Intel card is recent enough). That is: it loads the desktop, but as soon as you interact with the panel options or close Dolphin, the session crashes. Had this issue with 5.12 and 5.13 too. When they fix that and actually make the session useable (it doesn't have to be rock solid, but it needs to the basic things without crashing at least), then I'll switch.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I can't wait to switch either, but even with 5.14, plasma-wayland still isn't working for me, despite the fact that I only have an Intel card (2018 laptop model with 2017 hardware, so the Intel card is recent enough). That is: it loads the desktop, but as soon as you interact with the panel options or close Dolphin, the session crashes. Had this issue with 5.12 and 5.13 too. When they fix that and actually make the session useable (it doesn't have to be rock solid, but it needs to the basic things without crashing at least), then I'll switch.
      I'm in a similar situation with my PC with plasma-wayland and an R7 260x using AMDGPU. On the first boot it will not load the wayland session up, only the X11 session works. If I log in using X11, log out, and then log back in using the plasma-wayland session it works for a while until it crashes. That "trick" started working with 5.13 (never had a single plasma-wayland session start, ever, until 5.13 and I've always needed to do the log in/log out trick to get a wayland session going).

What sucks is it works damn well until I interact with the wrong thing and it crashes...ALT+F2 always causes a crash for an example... It's smoother, animations and compositing are better, and it seems to have less random slowdowns, but then it'll crash or hang and I'll reboot and just use the X11 session.
      Last edited by skeevy420; 03 November 2018, 12:58 PM. Reason: clairifying stuff

Comment

Nobody seems to be addressing the fact that all of this wayland(in general) gnashing of teeth is pointless if Nvidia is NEVER going to release a driver for it. Their only concern and focus on playing nice with Linux is machine learning. All of you Wayland numbnuts can GFY.

Until that very fk ass large majority of the GPU's on planet Earth are addressed, Wayland is a pipe dream for hippies and dipshits.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
          God bless Nvidia our lord and savior from the shackles of GNOME.
          sheesh. The main author of sway is on record of disliking nvidia

Comment

Originally posted by Wilfred View Post

sheesh. The main author of sway is on record of disliking nvidia
            Given that GNOME implemented EGLStreams, I think the intent was "God bless nVidia for forcing desktops to keep X11 as a supported option."

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
              It's smoother, animations and compositing are better, and it seems to have less random slowdowns
              Are you talking about an Xorg session with Compton?

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
              but then it'll crash or hang and I'll reboot and just use the X11 session.
              Oops, you are talking about Crashland.

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
                That situation with Weston seems to be quite hard to solve, as it's hard to review patches if you aren't a contributor already :/
                Well, the reviewers can see which are the better quality patch authors. Perhaps they can promote some of them to be additional reviewers. I feel like that is the normal evolution.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoreauHD View Post
                  Nobody seems to be addressing the fact that all of this wayland(in general) gnashing of teeth is pointless if Nvidia is NEVER going to release a driver for it. Their only concern and focus on playing nice with Linux is machine learning. All of you Wayland numbnuts can GFY.
                  You forget about:

Many of their visualization users are Linux-based. For companies like ILM to use Nvidia GPUs in the cloud, they probably want good support for the Quadro cards in their workstations. And if you've seen the pricing on some of those Quadros, it would fund quite a few OSS developers.

Comment

As I told, the major problem on linux is development. Too many are not responsible, and motivated.

Comment

by they way, the best modern software has the less support.... the absurdity in linux. Truth is that linux doesn't want to be a risk for Apple and Microsoft. Free OS is an illusion.

Comment

Working...
                      X