Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome 72 Poised To Have Some Wayland Performance Improvements

Phoronix: Chrome 72 Poised To Have Some Wayland Performance Improvements

While Chrome 71 is the current release stream, Chrome 72 is set to offer some improvements on the Wayland front...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

But when will Chromium run natively on Wayland?
    In its default compilation configuration?
    Or as built by Ubuntu?

If you run Ubuntu you can run Chromium under XWayland, but if you want a browser natively on Wayland, then you have to run Epiphany (GNOME Web).

Comment

I sure hope this fixes the issue where Chrome is super choppy under Wayland.

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      I know right? There's already GTK3 support and clearly it's adaptable enough to use whatever in-house compositor they use for Chromebooks so, what else do they really need? If they focused on an actual native port, they wouldn't have to make patches like this.

Comment

And I suspect it doesn't work with every graphics driver.

10 more years.

Comment

Or as built by Ubuntu?

If you run Ubuntu you can run Chromium under XWayland, but if you want a browser natively on Wayland, then you have to run Epiphany (GNOME Web).
          To be fair, firefox on wayland also runs on Fedora.

Comment

Or Eolie.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilfred View Post

To be fair, firefox on wayland also runs on Fedora.
              Yes, that is true. But it is explicitly configured by Fedora to be compiled with Wayland support. It does not build like that by default.
              Ubuntu compiles Firefox normally, so its not with Wayland enabled.
              Firefox does not yet officially support Wayland.

Comment

Or as built by Ubuntu?

main question is when the linux OS will be xorg free...

Comment

I wasn't entirely convinced in Chromium code review efficiency when I was observing how Wayland commits were being integrated to their codebase. It was like leaving contributors waiting for weeks or months for feedback

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post

main question is when the linux OS will be xorg free...
                    Well the GNOME stuff runs without Xorg. I guess the KDE stuff does too.
                    Some old GTK2 and Motif stuff don't work natively on Wayland.

GIMP still uses GTK2.
                    Electron does not work natively on Wayland yet (so Atom, Skype, Visual Studio Code, etc).
                    Firefox and Chromium.

Else things are looking kinda good. You can run most stuff on Wayland today.

Comment

Working...
                    X