Sway 1.0 Beta Released - Offers 100% Compatibility With i3 Window Manager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tomin View Post

No, it's fine. I just think it's important to know the difference between desktop environment, window manager and compositor. And I got your point, a person writing a (well working) compositor from scratch can not be lazy.
    ha, he was implemening i3 features for wayland because another dev was too lazy to port it. Anyway, I'm too lazy too to discuss this any further.

Comment

Originally posted by flux242 View Post
      ha, he was implemening i3 features for wayland because another dev was too lazy to port it. Anyway, I'm too lazy too to discuss this any further.
      You can't really "port" window managers from X11 to Wayland, at least not yet. It's just not how it works. Maybe later we have something that implements X-like display server that you can write window managers for and then you might be able to "port" them. I'm not sure but Mir might allow this already and I've understood that there are some plans to make Weston such that this could be done.

If you need an explanation, it's this: Window manager does much less work than a compositor which does the work of both window manager and display server. Window manager (like i3) always needs a display server (like Xorg) to do anything. Thus window manager is the least work to implement here. In Wayland compositor (like Sway, Weston and Mutter) does not need to be near as complex as Xorg is so it hard to draw a line but I think a display server that has additional protocol for separate window managers could easily be more complex than a typical compositor.

Comment

Originally posted by flux242 View Post

Would you care to point us in the direction of your open-source contributions you entitled know-it-all?

Comment

Mir might allow this already and I've understood that there are some plans to make Weston such that this could be done.
          You forgot about wlroots, made by the author of Sway.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

You forgot about wlroots, made by the author of Sway.
            Isn't wlroots about making compositor development easier? Which means it doesn't really fit the display server and window manager model that X11 and Mir have. That's why I didn't mention it here.

Comment

Hmm I wanted to try 1.0 Beta but can't figure out how to compile wlroots-git on OpenRC distro with elogind, I don't use systemd because it doesn't respect my freedom.

Code:
              Native C compiler: cc (gcc 8.2.1 "cc (GCC) 8.2.1 20180831")
              Build machine cpu family: x86_64
              Build machine cpu: x86_64
              Found pkg-config: /usr/bin/pkg-config (1.5.3)
              Dependency wayland-server found: YES 1.16.0
              Dependency wayland-client found: YES 1.16.0
              Dependency wayland-egl found: YES 18.1.0
              Dependency wayland-protocols found: YES 1.16
              Dependency egl found: YES 18.2.2
              Dependency glesv2 found: YES 18.2.2
              Dependency libdrm found: YES 2.4.96
              Dependency gbm found: YES 18.2.2
              Dependency libinput found: YES 1.12.1
              Dependency xkbcommon found: YES 0.8.2
              Dependency libudev found: YES 220
              Dependency pixman-1 found: YES 0.34.0
              Dependency libcap found: YES 2.25
              Dependency libsystemd found: NO (tried pkgconfig)

meson.build:58:0: ERROR:  Dependency "libsystemd" not found, tried pkgconfig

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
                Hmm I wanted to try 1.0 Beta but can't figure out how to compile wlroots-git on OpenRC distro with elogind, I don't use systemd because it doesn't respect my freedom.
                It seems like the work to support elogind is not yet finished (as of August 5th): https://github.com/swaywm/wlroots/issues/1178

Edit: Actually they have closed an issue about this already so I don't really know what the above is about: https://github.com/swaywm/wlroots/issues/146. Maybe you should open a bug report.
                Last edited by Tomin; 22 October 2018, 03:17 AM.

Comment

It seems like the work to support elogind is not yet finished (as of August 5th): https://github.com/swaywm/wlroots/issues/1178

Edit: Actually they have closed an issue about this already so I don't really know what the above is about: https://github.com/swaywm/wlroots/issues/146. Maybe you should open a bug report.
                  Hey thanks, I got it to compile, it was of my own ignorance, I had '-Dlogind-provider=systemd' being passed to meson when reality I was supposed to pass '-Dlogind-provider=elogind'...

Comment

Working...
                  X