The State Of Wayland Support For KDE Plasma 5.14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
    Any word on whether nVidia will ever be supported?
    Why not ask NVIDIA if they can support it?

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post

Why not ask NVIDIA if they can support it?
      Because I have no hope in nVidia doing it, since nVidia aren't really interested in providing proper Linux support even on X11, let alone Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        KDE's Wayland support has noticeably improved after every other update. At this point I find it to be very stable and most features that seemed broken about it have now been resolved. As of this week, I only have 3 problems left:
        1. Chromium is very choppy, but, I think that's more Chromium's fault than KDE's or Wayland's because it isn't a Wayland-native app and running it with "--disable-gpu-driver-bug-workarounds" seems to "fix" the problem. Other Xwayland programs don't have this problem.
        2. The application thumbnail preview in the task list doesn't work.
        3. Sometimes when watching a fullscreen video, my main panel shows up on top of the video.

Otherwise, everything else [I do] seems to work very smoothly and as-expected.
        Ah, I had that same problem too. It's been like that for a few months now. Thanks a lot for the tip! After running Chromium with that flag it's smooth again.

Comment

The Nvidia situation is a tricky one. Both the KDE devs and Nvidia are a bit in the wrong here and they're both stubborn. Nvidia is wrong because they're actively hindering the progress of Wayland. On the other hand, Nvidia has no obligation to support Wayland; X11 is all they really need to support. The KDE devs are in the wrong because they're basically screwing over their userbase out of principle. However, if the KDE devs don't hold their ground, Nvidia wins, and therefore Nvidia will never have to put any effort into real EGL support.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            The Nvidia situation is a tricky one. Both the KDE devs and Nvidia are a bit in the wrong here and they're both stubborn. Nvidia is wrong because they're actively hindering the progress of Wayland. On the other hand, Nvidia has no obligation to support Wayland; X11 is all they really need to support. The KDE devs are in the wrong because they're basically screwing over their userbase out of principle. However, if the KDE devs don't hold their ground, Nvidia wins, and therefore Nvidia will never have to put any effort into real EGL support.
            It isn't just a matter of principle. Supporting multiple lower-level backends like that increases the maintenance burden.

Comment

I doubt KDe will be able to integrate wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                nVidia aren't really interested in providing proper Linux support even on X11
                If even on X11, sell their hardware then.

Comment

Wayland still lacks color management support so it is uninteresting for people who want to look at real color and not some fantasy world. :-(

Comment

Working...
                  X