No announcement yet.

Good Support For Wayland Remote Desktop Handling On Track For KDE Plasma 5.15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Support For Wayland Remote Desktop Handling On Track For KDE Plasma 5.15

Phoronix: Good Support For Wayland Remote Desktop Handling On Track For KDE Plasma 5.15

The KDE Plasma 5.15 release due out next year will likely be in good shape for Wayland remote desktop handling...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It'd be cool to hook this up to Chromoting/Chrome Remote Desktop.

Comment

I'm not exactly sure what this is all about. So if I want to remote from Windows into a Linux box currently, I have to have something like a VNC or X2Go server on Linux and the equivalent client on Windows, both of which are available, both of which I've used so I know work.

What does 'Remoting will be in good shape for KDE' mean? Does it mean that there will be server software on Linux and client software on Windows that I can install and it works? Or does it mean that the technology will be available, and then someone will have to write the software that takes advantage of it? If so, who's going to write the software? Will the VNC implementations be updated to be able to connect to Wayland servers? Or will there have to be a seperate 'WaylandVncClinet.exe' that I will have to install on Windows? Is this a 'if you build it, they will come' thing?

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
        I'm not exactly sure what this is all about. So if I want to remote from Windows into a Linux box currently, I have to have something like a VNC or X2Go server on Linux and the equivalent client on Windows, both of which are available, both of which I've used so I know work.

What does 'Remoting will be in good shape for KDE' mean? Does it mean that there will be server software on Linux and client software on Windows that I can install and it works? Or does it mean that the technology will be available, and then someone will have to write the software that takes advantage of it? If so, who's going to write the software? Will the VNC implementations be updated to be able to connect to Wayland servers? Or will there have to be a seperate 'WaylandVncClinet.exe' that I will have to install on Windows? Is this a 'if you build it, they will come' thing?
        All good questions. There are several things that need to be in place for Remote desktop stuff to work. Wayland support (the xdg protocol definition part), support in the compositor (kwin/mutter), (i think) a daemon that speaks wayland and accepts remote connections and shifts the images around (that'd be where vnc/rdp fit in).

I am not a full bottle though, so if I am wrong I am sure it will be pointed out and we can learn more!

Comment

The way I understand this, it's supposed to be some kind of Microsoft RDP alternative for Wayland, so a fully working solution.
          I think it's supposed to be better and more efficient than VNC. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Screensharing generally is quite complicated and confusing term. Especially on Linux - it could mean many things:
            * share main session (X11/Wayland with "real" GPU drivers)
            * share other/separate session (X11/Wayland started with software drivers like X2Go or Spice)

"Old" Gnome X11 and KDE X11 sessions could be shared via VNC protocol. Gnome Wayland/KDE Wayland session cannot be shared via X11 implementation - it has to be implemented from scratch.

As far I know at the beginning Gnome Wayland/KDE Wayland screensharing will support VNC protocol. So on client side nothing will change - you will need download and start some VNC client to connect to Linux shared session.

PS. VNC is very old and terrible protocol, for example by default there is no audio support at all. I hope that after implement VNC, they will start developing support to much more capable protocols like RDP or Spice (but Spice as far I know is used to share VM screen only, not "real" PC screens with "real" GPU drivers, but perhaps it could be changed).

Comment

It's so strange that they don't use Spice instead of VNC. Spice works do much better.

Originally posted by Danniello View Post
              but Spice as far I know is used to share VM screen only
              It's possible to use Xspice to share screen from container or headless box. Without hardware acceleration, unfortunately, but the point is - Spice is not tied to QEMU.

Comment

Have been using Plasma Wayland for a while and I doubt that it will reach feature parity with X11 in 2019. Maybe 2020... Although, I still hope it will be more usable in 2019. There are still too many small (and not so small) things missing. Pager and Remote Desktop might be ready for Plasma 5.15.

P.S. my pessimism about 2019 is also partially because many things have to be fixed in Qt, not in Plasma and it takes much longer in Qt.

Comment

As far as I know, this is just making sure the wayland protocols devised for remote desktop control woks as planned.

The wayland security model forbids an application from having access to other applications' contents. This protocol allows this in a secure way (for example, by having the compositor confirm that you want to allow an app to do this). For remote desktop, you also need a way to provide remote input to the compositor.

AFAIK, this works makes sure that everything works on this side, so that we can have screen capture within firefox/chromium/other software, including various VNC servers.
                  The protocol used to send images, audio and input that were collected this way down the wire as another problem altogether... See VNC versus Steam Link versus Microsoft RDP, as an example.

Comment

Plasma Wayland session is still coring in Debian testing.

When using KWin Wayland session in Debian testing with AMD Vega 56 GPU (connected over DisplayPort), it cores right after log-in and falls back into sddm. I managed...

Comment

Working...
                    X