X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VanCoding
    replied
    Originally posted by Spazturtle View Post

Wayland is a protocol, you still need a display server to support it. Mir is a display server that supports wayland. You are running GNOME on Weston (another display server that supports wayland).
    No. Unlike with X, GNOME (or mutter to be more specific) is the display server when running in wayland mode. Weston is just a reference display server, that's rarely used in production. It's mostly just there to show wayland compositor developers how it could be done.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by Spazturtle View Post

Wayland is a protocol, you still need a display server to support it. Mir is a display server that supports wayland. You are running GNOME on Weston (another display server that supports wayland).
    No, Weston is the reference compsitor.
    I am running GNOME on Wayland where gnome-shell is the compositor with Wayland support.

Leave a comment:

• Spazturtle
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    I have no idea what this is good for.

I guess I'll be running GNOME on Wayland.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by Scellow View Post
    Gnome is trash, Wayland is even worse
    Why is that so?
    I mean sure, I disliked GNOME 3 back in the days when it was all new and I used GNOME 2. But after a couple of releases and refinements its gotten really good, especially with extensions such as Arc menu, dash-to-dock, dash-to-panel, etc.

I like GNOME, on overall it is great. That said, I don't like the dash (it is rather slow, and changes context from what I am working to all new screen), I much prefer using an extension so I don't have to use the dash.

As for Wayland, I still use X as I see no point in using Wayland yet when Firefox, Chrome, GIMP and Electon-based apps (Atom, Spotify, VS Code, Skype, etc) don't yet support Wayland. However it seems promising. Ultimately X or Wayland won't matter, its not something I will even know or interact with in any way.

Leave a comment:

• Scellow
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Gnome is trash, Wayland is even worse

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mir 1.0 Released For "Next-Generation of Graphical Solutions"

Phoronix: Mir 1.0 Released For "Next-Generation of Graphical Solutions"

As we were expecting over the last few days, the long-awaited release of Mir 1.0 is now available. It's certainly a different beast now than when "Mir 1.0" was talked about in the past now that it's focused on providing Wayland support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X