Canonical Developers Now Preparing Mir 1.0 For Release With Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
    Before Wayland we had THE X protocol and THE X server implementation of the protocol. It might have been ugly but all efforts were concentrated on THE single X implementation.

Now we have THE Wayland protocol and DOZENS of Wayland server implementations, each with their own little peculiarities. I guess this is considered progress.
    In the past the X11 protocol had DOZENS of implementations too... (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_terminal#Vendors)

Maybe in the future we'll see a single implementation (such as wlroots) take over like X.Org did for X11, and all compositors will be based on it.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
      Before Wayland we had THE X protocol and THE X server implementation of the protocol. It might have been ugly but all efforts were concentrated on THE single X implementation.

Now we have THE Wayland protocol and DOZENS of Wayland server implementations, each with their own little peculiarities. I guess this is considered progress.
      Wayland fixes the core problems with X. That is, at least they promise us absolutely tear free video, shorter round trips and latency, fixes for things like screen locker not activating if a right button menu is active, screen saver crash leading to exposed desktop, inefficient remote protocol for modern toolkits (remote X & GTK/Qt), disabling the possibility to perform key logging or screenshots whenever the attacker wants. Some X users also still suffer from X run as root, X tied to a tty, silly bash like launch scripts (startx, xinit etc). Oh and some eye candy like non-rectangle Windows. Many users have also disable a slew of deprecated features which were more relevant 30 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by hoohoo View Post
        I thought Wayland was to be a replacement for X. Now we have X/Wayland shims and compats and embeds. What's the point? I may as well stay with X.
        To make wayland working good would be necessary to completely remove Xorg so to observe what really works. Developers are not adequate they are able to program but unable to think.

Comment

Originally posted by vegabook View Post

We should all be on our hands and knees thanking Mark Shuttleworth for Ubuntu. He's spent many tens of millions of dollars of his own money on this distro. He's estimated net worth is 150m USD. He sold his certificate business for 500m USD. He's plunged hundreds of millions into Ubuntu, and by extension, Linux.

All this anti-canonical waffle from these geriatric, myopic, greybeards, who can't rub two brain cells together anymore, is so last century. Let's not forget that the only serious other contributions to Linux comes from massively profitable corporations. Canonical is _losing_ money supporting Linux and is therefore closer to the ethos of open source than any of these so-called purists want to admit.

Personally I run server-side systemd all day long as rock-solid as Mount Rushmore, and couldn't give a flying foxtrot about stone-age init scripts. On desktop, shit just works with Ubuntu. All the blobs are pre-installed. No bull. No wonder it beats Fedora hands down, let alone all the other single-digit share guys. The only serious competitors to Ubuntu are derivatives of Ubuntu, or its parent, Debian, which can thank Ubuntu for the intro, as far as most end-user Debian people are concerned.
          I do not understand: are they spending your money? It'd seem so.

Comment

frank maybe you need an english course? At least try google-translate.

Comment

Originally posted by mike44 View Post
              frank maybe you need an english course? At least try google-translate.
              This is the last resource of the poor.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Wayland fixes the core problems with X. That is, at least they promise us absolutely tear free video, shorter round trips and latency, fixes for things like screen locker not activating if a right button menu is active, screen saver crash leading to exposed desktop, inefficient remote protocol for modern toolkits (remote X & GTK/Qt), disabling the possibility to perform key logging or screenshots whenever the attacker wants. Some X users also still suffer from X run as root, X tied to a tty, silly bash like launch scripts (startx, xinit etc). Oh and some eye candy like non-rectangle Windows. Many users have also disable a slew of deprecated features which were more relevant 30 years ago.
                Those can be done on X11, as well.

Comment

We should all be on our hands and knees thanking Mark Shuttleworth for Ubuntu. He's spent many tens of millions of dollars of his own money on marketing...
                  This makes more sense...

Comment

We should all be on our hands and knees thanking Mark Shuttleworth for Ubuntu. He's spent many tens of millions of dollars of his own money on this distro. He's estimated net worth is 150m USD. He sold his certificate business for 500m USD. He's plunged hundreds of millions into Ubuntu, and by extension, Linux.

All this anti-canonical waffle from these geriatric, myopic, greybeards, who can't rub two brain cells together anymore, is so last century. Let's not forget that the only serious other contributions to Linux comes from massively profitable corporations. Canonical is _losing_ money supporting Linux and is therefore closer to the ethos of open source than any of these so-called purists want to admit.

Personally I run server-side systemd all day long as rock-solid as Mount Rushmore, and couldn't give a flying foxtrot about stone-age init scripts. On desktop, shit just works with Ubuntu. All the blobs are pre-installed. No bull. No wonder it beats Fedora hands down, let alone all the other single-digit share guys. The only serious competitors to Ubuntu are derivatives of Ubuntu, or its parent, Debian, which can thank Ubuntu for the intro, as far as most end-user Debian people are concerned.
                    I estimate all companies investing in free software, so even Canonical. Ubuntu is a good distribution, but there are better distributions of higher quality.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      It's probably not your choice anyway, your distro maintainers will decide when to switch.
                      In general, sure. OTOH I have several times built X from source. If Wayland offered a clean X-free implementation (with a supported browser & terminal program I suppose) I might build it myself too.

Comment

Working...
                      X