No announcement yet.

Canonical Developers Now Preparing Mir 1.0 For Release With Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope this is a good news for the wayland integration.

Comment

I thought Wayland was to be a replacement for X. Now we have X/Wayland shims and compats and embeds. What's the point? I may as well stay with X.

Comment

Originally posted by hoohoo View Post
        I thought Wayland was to be a replacement for X. Now we have X/Wayland shims and compats and embeds. What's the point? I may as well stay with X.
        Wayland is a protocol. Actual servers / compositors use Wayland. KWin / Mutter are KDE / Gnome examples. Mir is another example (not sure what it's going to be used for). It's different from X, where X itself meant the protocol and the server.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

Wayland is a protocol. Actual servers / compositors use Wayland. KWin / Mutter are KDE / Gnome examples. Mir is another example (not sure what it's going to be used for). It's different from X, where X itself meant the protocol and the server.
          What? I always thought "X" or "X11" meant the protocol and "X.Org" the server...

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

What? I always thought "X" or "X11" meant the protocol and "X.Org" the server...
            X is an abbreviation which can mean both.

Comment

Before Wayland we had THE X protocol and THE X server implementation of the protocol. It might have been ugly but all efforts were concentrated on THE single X implementation.

Now we have THE Wayland protocol and DOZENS of Wayland server implementations, each with their own little peculiarities. I guess this is considered progress.

Comment

Originally posted by frank007 View Post
                Wow, I always thought Debian was the last main distro to adopt systemd.
                Afaik it was. Ubuntu is a derivative of it so it can't be a "main distro" regardless of the chest-thumping.

Ubuntu had to adopt systemd after Debian made their decision, simply because they lacked the manpower to maintain all packages with Upstart on their own.

Meanwhile Gentoo.... and their init does better than Upstart ever did, too.

Comment

Originally posted by hoohoo View Post
                  It's probably not your choice anyway, your distro maintainers will decide when to switch.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
                    Before Wayland we had THE X protocol and THE X server implementation of the protocol. It might have been ugly but all efforts were concentrated on THE single X implementation.

Now we have THE Wayland protocol and DOZENS of Wayland server implementations, each with their own little peculiarities. I guess this is considered progress.
                    Competition is usually better than mono-culture. That's one of the reasons they made the Wayland protocol as they did.

It has never been really practical to make new, full X11 compliant servers for a reason, you know.

Also, Xorg has always been horrible monster, I don't care about "everyone focusing on it", the end product sucked until very recent times, and even now it's mostly meh and not modern at all.
                    Last edited by starshipeleven; 17 September 2018, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by the_scx View Post
                      Have you already forgotten about Canonical's romance with Microsoft? That's how the WSL (Linux kernel clone) was born.

In fact, the Windows Subsystem for Linux was made from the ashes of Project Astoria (Android emulator for Windows 10 Mobile), but Canonical still had a big impact on creating Bash for Windows.
                      We should all be on our hands and knees thanking Mark Shuttleworth for Ubuntu. He's spent many tens of millions of dollars of his own money on this distro. He's estimated net worth is 150m USD. He sold his certificate business for 500m USD. He's plunged hundreds of millions into Ubuntu, and by extension, Linux.

All this anti-canonical waffle from these geriatric, myopic, greybeards, who can't rub two brain cells together anymore, is so last century. Let's not forget that the only serious other contributions to Linux comes from massively profitable corporations. Canonical is _losing_ money supporting Linux and is therefore closer to the ethos of open source than any of these so-called purists want to admit.

Personally I run server-side systemd all day long as rock-solid as Mount Rushmore, and couldn't give a flying foxtrot about stone-age init scripts. On desktop, shit just works with Ubuntu. All the blobs are pre-installed. No bull. No wonder it beats Fedora hands down, let alone all the other single-digit share guys. The only serious competitors to Ubuntu are derivatives of Ubuntu, or its parent, Debian, which can thank Ubuntu for the intro, as far as most end-user Debian people are concerned.
                      Last edited by vegabook; 17 September 2018, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X