Wayland 1.16 Released, Likely The Last Time-Based Release, Plus Weston 5.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland 1.16 Released, Likely The Last Time-Based Release, Plus Weston 5.0

Phoronix: Wayland 1.16 Released, Likely The Last Time-Based Release, Plus Weston 5.0

Current Wayland/Weston release manager Derek Foreman of Samsung OSG today announced the release of Wayland 1.16 as well as the Weston 5.0 reference compositor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Weston 5.0 has the ability to start on logind seats that are not seat0, which if you have 2 cards, and udev set up, you can run two different Weston sessions on the same computer https://streamable.com/kkx1m

Comment

Where is the app <-> server and server <-> remote desktop network transparency we've been promised all these years?

Comment

Originally posted by jpg44 View Post
        Where is the app <-> server and server <-> remote desktop network transparency we've been promised all these years?
        who promised network transparency for wayland?
        there is now a screen capture extension which will allow for remoting. but i never heard something about network transparency (although it is still possible to do if someone wants to)

Comment

Originally posted by nerdopolis View Post
          Weston 5.0 has the ability to start on logind seats that are not seat0, which if you have 2 cards, and udev set up, you can run two different Weston sessions on the same computer https://streamable.com/kkx1m
          I know this is slightly OT, but is it possible to have real multiseat setups on Gnome and KDE Plasma on Wayland already?

Comment

Originally posted by WebMac View Post

I know this is slightly OT, but is it possible to have real multiseat setups on Gnome and KDE Plasma on Wayland already?
            GNOME supports it (not sure how long), and KDE recently gained supports for it

Comment

Tbh, I've found X11 ssh remoting far from optimal than Remote Desktop Protocol. This is the work for GPU to compress those pixels and application's job to send it efficiently through, not a windowing protocol for wayland

Comment

Working...
              X