Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mir Has Partial Support For The NVIDIA Proprietary Driver, X11 Support Remains WIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
    Speak for yourself, the "open source community" is not just the FSF extremists.
    This argument isn't about software freedom though. It is a purely technical discussion. No one in this debate is against the proprietary driver because of its license, but because it doesn't conform to an otherwise well-adopted standard. As a result, developers now have to support two standards: the one agreed upon by most of the community, and the one nvidia is parroting more or less on its own. You don't see a headline about "compositor X now including support for AMD's open source drivers," because that is default through using a widely implemented interface.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
      I thought it's not a display server anymore, but a Wayland compositor now?
      Mir, Weston, Mutter, GNOME Shell, KWin, Sway and the rest of Wayland compositors are display servers and Wayland compositors at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by phoenk View Post
        This argument isn't about software freedom though. It is a purely technical discussion. No one in this debate is against the proprietary driver because of its license, but because it doesn't conform to an otherwise well-adopted standard. As a result, developers now have to support two standards: the one agreed upon by most of the community, and the one nvidia is parroting more or less on its own. You don't see a headline about "compositor X now including support for AMD's open source drivers," because that is default through using a widely implemented interface.
        Depends how you look at "majority". Obviously the majority of users use Nvidia, for better or worse (I'm not advocating anything, just stating facts and statistics).

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          and most likely mate and cinnamon will use it to in future and ofc unity 8

Comment

Depends how you look at "majority". Obviously the majority of users use Nvidia, for better or worse (I'm not advocating anything, just stating facts and statistics).
            What statistics, though? I would expect Intel users to be the majority, by quite a margin

As far as I know, EGL Streams has quite a few shortcomings and would not be technically superior to GBM (which has a few, different, shortcomings as well). That's why both sides agreed to build a better solution after all. How is it going, by the way? I haven't heard of it in a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
              What statistics, though? I would expect Intel users to be the majority, by quite a margin

As far as I know, EGL Streams has quite a few shortcomings and would not be technically superior to GBM (which has a few, different, shortcomings as well). That's why both sides agreed to build a better solution after all. How is it going, by the way? I haven't heard of it in a long time.
              First hit I found:

Comment

That's add-in boards, though, meaning discrete GPUs, which is ignoring a big part of the picture (nvidia has no iGPUs). And those are general stats, things could be different on Linux.

It's actually quite difficult to find some stats. The first thing I found is the table at the end of that article, which would put nvidia at 16%: https://wccftech.com/nvidia-amd-inte...share-q3-2016/

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

and most likely mate and cinnamon will use it to in future and ofc unity 8
                  MATE will most likely switch to Mir, but last time I heard talk of Cinnamon on Wayland, Clem was more interested in porting Cinnamon's WM directly to Wayland rather than use Mir.

Comment

Working...
                  X