Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland 1.16 & Weston 5.0 Release Candidates For Testing

Phoronix: Wayland 1.16 & Weston 5.0 Release Candidates For Testing

Derek Foreman of Samsung's Open-Source Group put out the release candidates on Friday for the upcoming Wayland 1.16 release as well as the Weston 5.0 reference compositor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

why wayland devs don't change policy. Complete wayland protocol with all needed for desktop and mobile, etc. and then release wayland 1.0 for the ppl working with DE implement it, with only updates and bug fixes and said to ppl next major version only in two years with new features, always release small things and new releases only delay the implemention of this. Xserver works even with dual graphics and have more features... with this cadence only in 10 years we will have wayland protocol working but only for laptops and desktops of today

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
      why wayland devs don't change policy. Complete wayland protocol with all needed for desktop and mobile, etc. and then release wayland 1.0 for the ppl working with DE implement it, with only updates and bug fixes and said to ppl next major version only in two years with new features, always release small things and new releases only delay the implemention of this. Xserver works even with dual graphics and have more features... with this cadence only in 10 years we will have wayland protocol working but only for laptops and desktops of today
      What do you miss on Wayland? Smaller issues bugs are there, but they need to be fixed in the toolkits.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post

What do you miss on Wayland? Smaller issues bugs are there, but they need to be fixed in the toolkits.
        Smaller issues? another thing I can't undertand why is written in C and not in C++

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

Smaller issues? another thing I can't undertand why is written in C and not in C++
          So basically you don't know whats missing. But you want that the devs rewrite Wayland then at least in another language to make you happy. Do you have some arguments for C++?

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post

So basically you don't know whats missing. But you want that the devs rewrite Wayland then at least in another language to make you happy. Do you have some arguments for C++?
            Excuse me good sir, have you heard about our Lord and Savior, Rust?

Back serious, I think I've seen people complaining about the lack of desktop recording support in Wayland.

But overall I agree with you. Wayland per-se is mostly OK, what is still unstable are the DEs that are adding support for it. And freezing Wayland's limited development and bugfixing won't change a thing, it's not the culprit.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              Excuse me good sir, have you heard about our Lord and Savior, Rust?
              But overall I agree with you. Wayland per-se is mostly OK, what is still unstable are the DEs that are adding support for it. And freezing Wayland's limited development and bugfixing won't change a thing, it's not the culprit.
              I'd agree that freezing the limited development and bug-fixing won't change a thing. The structural flaws in Wayland are deep and irreparable. The engineering flaws are worse. Perhaps there was a time where it would be worthwhile to provide structural criticism and suggest fixes - but we're way past that. This is a disaster movie (tentative title: Rube Goldberg - I love you) that is much more fun to ride out and study the hot complicated mess of its scattered plot, and hope there is a lesson to be learned at the end of that monochromatic rainbow.

The lack of Desktop Recording support is a symptom, though it's the one where the pending solutions are hilariously bad. If you want a case to think about and see how well the 'protocol' would be able to support, take 'Synergy' (the virtual KVM thing).

Comment

Weston 5.0 now supports running on a non-seat0 logind seat, where you can have two parallel instances of Weston running off the same computer, if you have two GPUs, and 2 mice, and 2 keyboards. https://streamable.com/69vdr (the first part)

Comment

Originally posted by crazyloglad View Post
                  I'd agree that freezing the limited development and bug-fixing won't change a thing. The structural flaws in Wayland are deep and irreparable. The engineering flaws are worse. Perhaps there was a time where it would be worthwhile to provide structural criticism and suggest fixes - but we're way past that. This is a disaster movie (tentative title: Rube Goldberg - I love you) that is much more fun to ride out and study the hot complicated mess of its scattered plot, and hope there is a lesson to be learned at the end of that monochromatic rainbow.
                  This type of colorful descriptions with examples in completely different fields with exactly 0 useful content are usually a dead giveaway of someone that has no idea of what he is talking about.

The lack of Desktop Recording support is a symptom, though it's the one where the pending solutions are hilariously bad. If you want a case to think about and see how well the 'protocol' would be able to support, take 'Synergy' (the virtual KVM thing).
                  Could you provide some pointers of this "hilariously bad" solutions? The ticket on Synergy was closed with a "coming soon in 2.1" https://github.com/symless/synergy-core/issues/4090
                  And that it is on the roadmap https://symless.com/synergy/roadmap

So I don't know much about what they want to do.

Comment

Pointless ad hominem ignored. Colourful descriptions also work as a quick and rough way to filter readership and exclude certain unwanted elements. I don't have enough hours on this forum to have an up to date list of people to just ignore outright.

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    Could you provide some pointers of this "hilariously bad" solutions?
                    D-Bus, Pipewire and Wayland solve 90-95% of the same tasks in similar but not exactly compatible ways (to be fancy "object-relational impedance mismatch"). The tasks in question are connection discovery, client authentication, feature negotiation and timing sensitive data- and metadata- transfers. Instead of finding a common denominator and build on that, maximizing code reuse, all three will get duct taped together with some difficult synchronization bugs waiting in a lot of code. Hence the Rube Goldberg reference - you take things that work fine in isolation, then combine them to solve some problem in a ridiculous way. That's one way this might end. The other is that you get a protocol for each feature: a "screenshoter" protocol, a "screen recorder" protocol, a "window enumeration protocol", a "window recorder" protocol, and so on - likely written without taking the other protocols into account. But we'll probably get both.

The ticket on Synergy was closed with a "coming soon in 2.1" https://github.com/symless/synergy-core/issues/4090
                    And that it is on the roadmap https://symless.com/synergy/roadmap So I don't know much about what they want to do.
                    From the looks of it, it is very much empty promises. The reason I bring it up as an example is that the features they require are on the 'security reasons - no' list. Synergy requires information about relative monitor positions, passive global cursor control, clipboard monitoring and injection, keyboard grabs and mouse/keyboard input injection. The situation seems similar for Wine, which is almost certainly the most difficult target to write a wayland backend for. It was also on their roadmap, yet there is not a single line of code to that effect and not mentioned at all on last month's wineconf (judging by the videos).

Comment

Working...
                    X