Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mir's EGMDE Desktop Is Now Available From The Snap Store

Phoronix: Mir's EGMDE Desktop Is Now Available From The Snap Store

While Mir has long been focused on its Snap support, now available via the Snap Store is offering EGMDE...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Seriously though, no offence but what's so compelling about Mir that makes it worth developing forward?

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post
      Seriously though, no offence but what's so compelling about Mir that makes it worth developing forward?
      This question have been asked and answered on every article about Mir this year. Go back and read the comments on one of those

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post

This question have been asked and answered on every article about Mir this year. Go back and read the comments on one of those
        I actually did that but didn't find any decent answer.

Comment

I actually did that but didn't find any decent answer.
          If you didn't find any decent answer, then you haven't searched good enough.

Comment

I actually did [search] but didn't find any decent answer.
            I answered a similar ELI5 question here. In brief, Mir aims to offer a generalized solution that may be helpful to smaller DE development groups that may lack the resources to develop their own Wayland complaint compositors.

Perhaps you could explain why, in your opinion, Mir isn't worthy of continued development so that your specific concerns can be addressed.

Comment

The way I understand it is something like this, Xorg is a server and it provides alot of the capability that a window manager or a compositor would need. Wayland is just a protocol and you use it to implement the capability you need. Mir is a server that uses the Wayland protocol to implement those capabilities for you. In it's essence it tries to bring the benefits of Xorg together with the benefits of Wayland. Although that's not exactly how it started out. That's definitely overly simplified and may not reflect the whole reality.
              Last edited by duby229; 08 August 2018, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GizmoChicken View Post
                Mir aims to offer a generalized solution that may be helpful to smaller DE development groups that may lack the resources to develop their own Wayland complaint compositors.
                We already have libweston and wlroots for that purpose. I don't mind, I just don't see why somebody would want to reinvent the wheel again. No offence.

Comment

I just don't see
                  Try opening your eyes.

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Video about daily using egmde!

Comment

Working...
                    X