Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wayland Protocols 1.16 Released With Few Updates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by dkasak View Post

    Last time I checked, they *had* implemented this protocol. Where's your github repo, little boy?
    10 years have passed since the first release of wayland.

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post

      10 years have passed since the first release of wayland.
      Great. So? I'm running E on wayland now. Also, where's your github repo?

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by dkasak View Post

        Great. So? I'm running E on wayland now. Also, where's your github repo?
        so there are many programs based on X11 and many inux operating systems unable to run on wayland after 10 years.

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post

          so there are many programs based on X11 and many inux operating systems unable to run on wayland after 10 years.
          No there aren't. You clearly don't know your stuff. Most apps are based on a widget toolkit, and the vast majority of these use gtk or qt. The current major versions of both gtk and qt support running directly on wayland. The only toolkits I can think of that don't run natively on wayland are xmotif and java's various toolkits ( swing, etc - I'm not a java person ).

          So your claim that there are 'many programs based on X11' is very poorly worded, and flat-out false regardless of which way I bend your words to make more sense.

          As for legacy apps, eg that use gtk2, they run just fine in wayland, using Xwayland.

          Also, where's your github repo? I'm starting to think you don't have one, and have very little idea of how software actually works.

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by dkasak View Post

            No there aren't. You clearly don't know your stuff. Most apps are based on a widget toolkit, and the vast majority of these use gtk or qt. The current major versions of both gtk and qt support running directly on wayland. The only toolkits I can think of that don't run natively on wayland are xmotif and java's various toolkits ( swing, etc - I'm not a java person ).

            So your claim that there are 'many programs based on X11' is very poorly worded, and flat-out false regardless of which way I bend your words to make more sense.

            As for legacy apps, eg that use gtk2, they run just fine in wayland, using Xwayland.

            Also, where's your github repo? I'm starting to think you don't have one, and have very little idea of how software actually works.
            so the reason for which many operating systems don't support wayland environment is a mystery nowadays.

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post

              so the reason for which many operating systems don't support wayland environment is a mystery nowadays.
              I guess if you go back to Slackware 4, no, it won't support wayland. Everything current does I've touched recently does. I know Gentoo does, because I'm running Gentoo and it's working fine. I know Fedora does, because my boss runs Gnome on wayland. I know Ubuntu does, because a workmate broke his distro ( dist upgrade ), and when I rescued it, I found out by typing 'glxinfo' that it had flipped to using wayland. I know Arch does - I was reading a thread in the Arch forums about it the other day.

              Which distros are you talking about, anyway? What distro does an expert such as yourself use? Oh - and you keep forgetting to link your github repo. Don't worry - I'll keep reminding you. I'm sure you will have an impressive list of projects in active development.

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by dkasak View Post

                I guess if you go back to Slackware 4, no, it won't support wayland. Everything current does I've touched recently does. I know Gentoo does, because I'm running Gentoo and it's working fine. I know Fedora does, because my boss runs Gnome on wayland. I know Ubuntu does, because a workmate broke his distro ( dist upgrade ), and when I rescued it, I found out by typing 'glxinfo' that it had flipped to using wayland. I know Arch does - I was reading a thread in the Arch forums about it the other day.

                Which distros are you talking about, anyway? What distro does an expert such as yourself use? Oh - and you keep forgetting to link your github repo. Don't worry - I'll keep reminding you. I'm sure you will have an impressive list of projects in active development.
                ubuntu doesn't use wayland by defautl, Kubuntu doesn't use wayland by default, Kde Neon doesn't use wayland by default, Lubuntu doesn't use wayland, Xubuntu doesn't use wayland I assume that linux mint distros don't use wayland and so on. Fedora use wayland by default... and switching in wayland in those linux operating systems which aren't compliant with wayland may corrupt the operating system itself.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post

                  ubuntu doesn't use wayland by defautl, Kubuntu doesn't use wayland by default, Kde Neon doesn't use wayland by default, Lubuntu doesn't use wayland, Xubuntu doesn't use wayland I assume that linux mint distros don't use wayland and so on. Fedora use wayland by default... and switching in wayland in those linux operating systems which aren't compliant with wayland may corrupt the operating system itself.
                  Interesting list of distros that don't use wayland by default. No-one was talking about default offerings until I pointed out your claim that none *support* wayland was total BS. For the record, Gentoo doesn't use wayland "by default" either. That statement's about as meaningless as yours. Ah ... your github repo, little boy. Have you forgotten the link? Hahahaha.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Lubuntu doesn't use wayland
                    Lubuntu sees supporting legacy hardware as one of their primary goals. That generally means taking a conservative approach to new technologies.

                    Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                    and switching in wayland in those linux operating systems which aren't compliant with wayland may corrupt the operating system itself.
                    I suspect that's far more likely to be an indicator of the Ubuntu maintainers' incompetence than anything else. I remember reading that these things are supposed to be buildable in a configuration that can start as an X11 window manager OR a Wayland compositor and the Ubuntu package maintainers do have a bit of a history of breaking packages and then frustrating upstream maintainers when it turns out reported bugs were introduced by the big pile of patches that the *buntu maintainers were applying without trying to get them upstream... and all the *buntu-family distros depend on the core of packages maintained by the Ubuntu maintainers.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

                      Lubuntu sees supporting legacy hardware as one of their primary goals. That generally means taking a conservative approach to new technologies.



                      I suspect that's far more likely to be an indicator of the Ubuntu maintainers' incompetence than anything else. I remember reading that these things are supposed to be buildable in a configuration that can start as an X11 window manager OR a Wayland compositor and the Ubuntu package maintainers do have a bit of a history of breaking packages and then frustrating upstream maintainers when it turns out reported bugs were introduced by the big pile of patches that the *buntu maintainers were applying without trying to get them upstream... and all the *buntu-family distros depend on the core of packages maintained by the Ubuntu maintainers.
                      maintainers which are incompetents. I agree. I assume that also the phase of switching between the two different environments has troubles furthermore the troubles occurs if mesa or owner drivers are used. So the importance of wayland on default. Having it on default means it should work. The other question regards with browsers: chrome/ium is not ready, firefox should be ready for wayland.
                      Last edited by Azrael5; 08-14-2018, 07:16 AM.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X