Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wayland-Protocols 1.15 Adds XDG-Decoration Protocol For Server-Side Window Decorations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland-Protocols 1.15 Adds XDG-Decoration Protocol For Server-Side Window Decorations

Phoronix: Wayland-Protocols 1.15 Adds XDG-Decoration Protocol For Server-Side Window Decorations

Wayland-Protocols 1.15 has been released that introduces the new (unstable) XDG-Decoration protocol for drawing window decorations with Wayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ryan Gordon of SDL fame has been complaining about the lack of something like this.

Comment

See? Complaining works.

But if they did add this, does it mean Wayland fanboys who said this is not necessary (they'll defend everything at a specific point in time) are proven wrong? Start the complaints how it's "not needed", that's what you fanboys said before so clearly this feature is bad/wrong/etc, bring on the pitchforks.

Don't get me wrong, this is a great move. I just like to pour some salt onto those fanboys I argued with, is all.

Still sucks that this wasn't the default tho.

Comment

I think you posted the wrong link

Comment

Good, so this will help KDE applications look better in Gnome?

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
            Good, so this will help KDE applications look better in Gnome?
            Or Gtk apps on Plasma?

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
              See? Complaining works.

But if they did add this, does it mean Wayland fanboys who said this is not necessary (they'll defend everything at a specific point in time) are proven wrong?
              No, as this does not revert Client Side Decorations. It allows those who did not like CSD to continue with SSD under Wayland and provides a way to provide the necessary information in a way that should mean it can be used on more than one compositor.

Comment

Originally posted by Mthw View Post

Or Gtk apps on Plasma?
                I'd like to know that as well, as there apparently is no way to force SSDs for GTK3 Wayland windows in a Plasma Wayland session (or did I miss anything?).

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                  See? Complaining works.

But if they did add this, does it mean Wayland fanboys who said this is not necessary (they'll defend everything at a specific point in time) are proven wrong? Start the complaints how it's "not needed", that's what you fanboys said before so clearly this feature is bad/wrong/etc, bring on the pitchforks.

Don't get me wrong, this is a great move. I just like to pour some salt onto those fanboys I argued with, is all.

Still sucks that this wasn't the default tho.
                  Please note X11 server default is no Windows Manager so no Windows boarders. Only one problem there is no clear state X11 standard to find out if you should be rendering boarders.

Wayland default you don't have windows boarders and if compositor is not telling you its rendering boarders render some yourself.

GitHub is where people build software. More than 100 million people use GitHub to discover, fork, and contribute to over 420 million projects.

Also pays to have a close read.
                  After requesting a decoration mode, the compositor will respond by emitting a xdg_surface.configure event. The client should then update its content, drawing it without decorations if the received mode is server-side decorations. The client must also acknowledge the configure when committing the new content (see xdg_surface.ack_configure).
                  Great back to only able to update windows as fast as compositor can handle. Wayland Client side allows your application to update what will be displayed as fast as it has cpu time and have the compositor render to screen the most current one when it gets cpu/gpu time.

I do note they have included options for applications not to accept server side decorations. Yes server side decorations is going to cost memory and performance.

Really weasel why should the worst performing option be default???

This does not help Ryan Gordon of SDL as he still has to render boarders.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
                    This does not help Ryan Gordon of SDL as he still has to render boarders.
                    Err, the whole point of this protocol is that no, he does not need to. Of course, the compositor needs to implement SSDs, but guess what, even Mutter (the land of CSDs) does. It needs them for X applications that run via Xwayland. So once Mutter adds support for this protocol, SDL windows will have borders.

Comment

Working...
                    X