How To Make Use Of Wayland Screen Sharing With PipeWire & XDG Desktop Portal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post

Set Xft.dpi in your local .xresources and then launch a remote X program - for instance

local:~/ $ ssh -X myhost
    myhost:~/ $ firefox

The remote firefox will respect your local DPI which is extremely useful if you have for instance a retina machine and you connect to a non-retina host, or conversely. This is not possible with pipewire.
    Curious ... What's the use-case for this? Who runs firefox on a remote client?

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post

Curious ... What's the use-case for this? Who runs firefox on a remote client?
      firefox is just an example that everyone knows, every GTK2/3 or Qt4/5 app works like this. I use it all the time for pavucontrol of my media player for instance.

Comment

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post

firefox is just an example that everyone knows, every GTK2/3 or Qt4/5 app works like this. I use it all the time for pavucontrol of my media player for instance.
        Yeah, I thought so You're doing it wrong. Pavucontrol is a terrible example, because pulse is a NETWORK audio layer. You should be running it locally and connecting to the pulse server over the network. But anyway, let's pretend you have a real-world example ... the current way to do it under wayland is running an RDP server. Soon, something like pipewire may offer other alternatives. I don't see the problem.

Comment

Working...
        X