No announcement yet.

Sway 1.0 Wayland Compositor Nears With Floating Windows, Tablet Support & More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sway 1.0 Wayland Compositor Nears With Floating Windows, Tablet Support & More

Phoronix: Sway 1.0 Wayland Compositor Nears With Floating Windows, Tablet Support & More

The release of the Sway 1.0 Wayland compositor is inching closer with the recent third alpha release. Sway for the uninformed is a very promising i3-compatible Wayland compositor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

You didn't mention that it's dropping support for the NVIDIA driver, which, although reasonable, is something that might concern some. I've been using Sway since the early days, when crashes were regular and windows didn't even have borders. Hard to believe what a pillar of the Wayland community it's become.

Comment

So login managers don't work at all?

Comment

They most certainly do. They're just "not supported", is all.

Comment

Originally posted by PluMGMK View Post
          You didn't mention that it's dropping support for the NVIDIA driver, which, although reasonable, is something that might concern some. I've been using Sway since the early days, when crashes were regular and windows didn't even have borders. Hard to believe what a pillar of the Wayland community it's become.
          Bye bye Sway. Was fun using you. Guess I'll stick with 0.15 for now and try to find something else when it breaks down the road.

I get where they're coming from with regards to not building support into WLROOTS, but the whole "Even if the community contributes code to make it work, we'd refuse the patch because Nvidia are jerks!" mentality is a bit extremist. You're hurting your users more than you're hurting Nvidia themselves.

And telling users to just use AMD because they're nicer to the community simply isn't an option for everyone. With work I don't really have a choice of hardware because a lot of the stuff we do needs CUDA.

Comment

Working...
          X