Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Session Suspension & Restoration Protocol Proposed For Wayland

Phoronix: A Session Suspension & Restoration Protocol Proposed For Wayland

KDE Wayland developer Roman Gilg who started contributing to Wayland via last year's Google Summer of Code is proposing a new Wayland protocol for dealing with desktop session suspension and restoration...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice, just the other day I was told on Matrix/IRC that the X_SAVE_YOURSELF (or whatever it is called), along with ksmserver, had no replacement on Wayland.

I would like a few signals to ask apps to free memory, this would be useful to avoid swapping under memory pressure.

The nice thing is these protocols sometimes only need to be implemented in the toolkit or a few big applications to make a difference

Comment

What's the story with screen recording currently with Wayland? Is there now a standard way to do it?

Comment

What happened with the people whose only reply is "but Wayland is just a protocol" when you ask why it lacks features like this? Funny.

How about adding more useful features to the damn protocol instead of letting the compositor having free reign on them, which sucks incredibly.

Comment

Comment

This sounds silly. Just write a independent application/shell script that communicates with dbus to send the suspend/hibernate command to /sys/power/. Why even make a protocol for dbus of all things? The kernel handles all the events related to suspend/hibernate and I can suspend and restore several wayland desktops without any problems as of right now. Why fix what isn't broken?

Comment

Originally posted by notanoob View Post
              This sounds silly. Just write a independent application/shell script that communicates with dbus to send the suspend/hibernate command to /sys/power/. Why even make a protocol for dbus of all things? The kernel handles all the events related to suspend/hibernate and I can suspend and restore several wayland desktops without any problems as of right now. Why fix what isn't broken?
              What about reopening windows on next login after shutdown? (macOS does this)

Comment

Originally posted by notanoob View Post
                What about letting programs close connections (e.g. IRC) cleanly before suspending?

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                  What's the story with screen recording currently with Wayland? Is there now a standard way to do it?
                  Works on Gnome. https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-h...record.html.en

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                    What happened with the people whose only reply is "but Wayland is just a protocol" when you ask why it lacks features like this?
                    Sorry man I was late.

but Wayland is just a protocol!

How about adding more useful features to the damn protocol instead of letting the compositor having free reign on them, which sucks incredibly.
                    You know what is a "protocol extension" right?

It's an optional addition to the protocol. But is a standard. It's not a KDE-specific thing.
                    Last edited by starshipeleven; 18 June 2018, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X