Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland Remote Desktop May Come To Fedora 29

Phoronix: Wayland Remote Desktop May Come To Fedora 29

The latest feature plan for Fedora 29 is to finally have Wayland remote desktop support in place...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So soon there will be one more item to be updated on the Major Linux Problems on the Desktop, 2018 edition?
    FYI: https://itvision.altervista.org/why....p.current.html

Comment

Please do. And also please figure out a way to do generic screen capture with OBS for example. And figure out a way for global app-specific keyboard shortcuts (usecase: muting / unmuting your microphone in a VoIP application (whilst another application is active on your screen)).

Comment

I hope they're figuring out a protocol to remotely open desktop sessions so that you don't need to be already logged in to access the desktop remotely.

Comment

X has had this for 25 years. Nice to see them catching up though.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
            And it runs like shit. X11 remote capabilities might have been good then the drawing commands were send over the wire (I still doubt it because the protocol needs so many back and forths making latency a huge problem) but today, it is not.

While I like the idea of having a nice wayland vnc, I very much would appreciate my apps "just" split the working server part and the gui part into two. Example of this would be qtorrent. Super nice because you can run the server everythere and still get a gui like you are running it locally. Yeah O know, this will never happen because of the work but just imagine it!

Comment

*facepalms*
              X was great in it's day, but the sun is setting, and for good reason. Move on.

Comment

What an utterly useless statement. That's like going up to a child who just learned how to do multiplication and tell him "I, as well as billions of other people before you, learned how to do that over 25 years ago. Nice to see you finally catch up".
                Last edited by schmidtbag; 08 June 2018, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Why not Spice?

Comment

It was fairly easy to implement on X because with that everything has access to everything else. VNC, you want access to the framebuffer and all the inputs? No problem.

Wayland has been designed with security in mind which presents problems for things like remote desktops. But the slow pace of these features being implemented is a small price to pay for the peace of mind that comes with a desktop where it's not trivial to write a keylogger.

Comment

Working...
                    X