Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weston Now Has Its New Touchscreen Calibrator

Phoronix: Weston Now Has Its New Touchscreen Calibrator

Wayland's Weston reference has now received its new touchscreen calibrator within Weston Git...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

One of my biggest concerns about Wayland is the lack of any global storage mechanism for input and output configuration. All the configuration is stuck in users' home directories, and there's not even an equivalent to xorg.conf, let alone a GUI configurator that uses e.g. Polkit.

Comment

Originally posted by matthewtrescott View Post
      One of my biggest concerns about Wayland is the lack of any global storage mechanism for input and output configuration. All the configuration is stuck in users' home directories, and there's not even an equivalent to xorg.conf, let alone a GUI configurator that uses e.g. Polkit.
      Configuration? A protocol? Me don't understand

Comment

Originally posted by sebastianlacuesta View Post

Configuration? A protocol? Me don't understand
        Yes, as I understand it this is just a protocol for a program to display a calibration window and receive touchscreen events, then send the calibration matrix it builds from those events to the compositor. This protocol and the new touchscreen calibrator program don't specify how the calibration matrix is stored on-disk. Suppose user "Sally" calibrates her hypothetical touchscreen, then logs out and lets "John" use his account on the computer. Now, since Weston presumably only stored the calibration in /home/Sally/.config/, John has to calibrate the touchscreen again, even though Sally already did so. And then there's the display manager too, which runs as a separate user and therefore also needs configuring... but there's no GUI to do that; for GDM at least you have to meddle with dconf settings. I'd say the situation is pretty dire, but seemingly no one has taken notice.

Comment

Originally posted by matthewtrescott View Post

Yes, as I understand it this is just a protocol for a program to display a calibration window and receive touchscreen events, then send the calibration matrix it builds from those events to the compositor. This protocol and the new touchscreen calibrator program don't specify how the calibration matrix is stored on-disk. Suppose user "Sally" calibrates her hypothetical touchscreen, then logs out and lets "John" use his account on the computer. Now, since Weston presumably only stored the calibration in /home/Sally/.config/, John has to calibrate the touchscreen again, even though Sally already did so. And then there's the display manager too, which runs as a separate user and therefore also needs configuring... but there's no GUI to do that; for GDM at least you have to meddle with dconf settings. I'd say the situation is pretty dire, but seemingly no one has taken notice.
          Would this be a task for XDG and friends at FreeDesktop.Org? I'm just asking.

About lack of GUI support, I agree. This is an issue in most DEs for not only this, but too many other areas.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

Would this be a task for XDG and friends at FreeDesktop.Org? I'm just asking.

About lack of GUI support, I agree. This is an issue in most DEs for not only this, but too many other areas.
            Yes, I believe this would be a responsibility of the XDG. And I agree, GUIs for power-user configuration is a place where Linux really lags behind Windows and even (to some extent, think winbind Active Directory binding) macOS. There's nothing wrong with having text-based configuration that can be manually edited, especially for sophisticated things like web servers that need logic to be expressed in a config file. But GUIs in the long run improve productivity since there's no problems with syntax errors, use of deprecated options, etc.

Comment

Working...
            X