Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Many Wayland Improvements In Qt 5.11

Phoronix: The Many Wayland Improvements In Qt 5.11

Released one week ago was the big Qt 5.11 tool-kit update. While there is a lot of new and improved functionality, not receiving much attention until now are all of the Wayland platform support improvements in this latest half-year Qt5 update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's great. There may, perhaps, come a day when I can run KDE in Wayland. Even with these improvements, today is not that day. Rotation results in black screen with (at least) mesa / amdgpu.

Comment

Originally posted by Sloth View Post
      That's great. There may, perhaps, come a day when I can run KDE in Wayland. Even with these improvements, today is not that day. Rotation results in black screen with (at least) mesa / amdgpu.
      Screen rotation is a pretty niche feature. Perhaps the devs just simply haven't attempted to look into that yet and just assumed it worked. Have you filed a bug report? I doubt it'd be all that difficult for them to work on. To my knowledge, GNOME+Wayland has working screen rotation, so it is definitely already possible.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        Screen rotation is a pretty niche feature. Perhaps the devs just simply haven't attempted to look into that yet and just assumed it worked. Have you filed a bug report? I doubt it'd be all that difficult for them to work on. To my knowledge, GNOME+Wayland has working screen rotation, so it is definitely already possible.
        Bug was reported a while ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Sloth View Post
          These improvements don't have anything to do with KDE. They relate to Wayland compositors created with QtQuick (see the examples in the blog post).

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov View Post

These improvements don't have anything to do with KDE. They relate to Wayland compositors created with QtQuick (see the examples in the blog post).
            It's the Qt support on Wayland, it affects both Gnome and KDE, not compositor specific afaik? In the comments the blog author says:

> I use KDE plasma, myself, so that’s probably the compositior with best support right now. I’ll try out gnome-shell for a while, though, and see if there’s anything that can be done on the Qt side.

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

It's the Qt support on Wayland, it affects both Gnome and KDE, not compositor specific afaik? In the comments the blog author says:

> I use KDE plasma, myself, so that’s probably the compositior with best support right now. I’ll try out gnome-shell for a while, though, and see if there’s anything that can be done on the Qt side.
              Wayland in KWin is not implemented using QtQuick, while the post is about improvements to the QML components for Wayland, if I read it correctly.

Comment

Working...
              X