X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• makam
    replied
    Originally posted by BwackNinja View Post

Not only did you get the order wrong, it has been explained three separate times in the posts above yours.

More explicitly, for anyone else who finds themselves wondering what the layers really are and how they're related:
    - Wayland is a protocol
    - A compositor is what communicates with clients and displays on the screen, compositing the client windows
    - Mir is a display server, but also has it's own protocol associated with it
    - MirAL is a library built on top of Mir, making it easier to build shells with custom window management on top of the Mir display server
    - Mir implements the wayland protocol, and thus can call itself a wayland compositor
    - Libwayland is an implementation of the wayland protocol, i.e. just the communication between client and server, not actually doing anything with that information
    - Libweston is an implementation of the compositor portions of weston as a reusable library to make it easier to write a compositor, and is not the only one of its kind
    - X.Org is a display server, X is a protocol
    - XWayland is a display server that talks using the X protocol to clients and the wayland protocol to the wayland compositor

With all of that in mind, when we talk about Mir clients on Mir, it looks like this:
    Mir client ===Mir Protocol==> Mir

When we talk about Wayland clients on Mir, it looks like this:
    Wayland client ===Wayland Protocol==> Mir

When we talk about X clients on Mir, it looks like this:
    X Client ===X Protocol==> XWayland ===Wayland Protocol==> Mir
    Dude, I was making an off the hand joke remark.

Leave a comment:

• BwackNinja
    replied
    Originally posted by makam View Post
    Oh great, now we will have mir over wayland over x.
    Not only did you get the order wrong, it has been explained three separate times in the posts above yours.

More explicitly, for anyone else who finds themselves wondering what the layers really are and how they're related:
    - Wayland is a protocol
    - A compositor is what communicates with clients and displays on the screen, compositing the client windows
    - Mir is a display server, but also has it's own protocol associated with it
    - MirAL is a library built on top of Mir, making it easier to build shells with custom window management on top of the Mir display server
    - Mir implements the wayland protocol, and thus can call itself a wayland compositor
    - Libwayland is an implementation of the wayland protocol, i.e. just the communication between client and server, not actually doing anything with that information
    - Libweston is an implementation of the compositor portions of weston as a reusable library to make it easier to write a compositor, and is not the only one of its kind
    - X.Org is a display server, X is a protocol
    - XWayland is a display server that talks using the X protocol to clients and the wayland protocol to the wayland compositor

With all of that in mind, when we talk about Mir clients on Mir, it looks like this:
    Mir client ===Mir Protocol==> Mir

When we talk about Wayland clients on Mir, it looks like this:
    Wayland client ===Wayland Protocol==> Mir

When we talk about X clients on Mir, it looks like this:
    X Client ===X Protocol==> XWayland ===Wayland Protocol==> Mir

Leave a comment:

• makam
    replied
    Oh great, now we will have mir over wayland over x.

Leave a comment:

• AlanGriffiths
    replied
    I'm sure it has been mentioned here before now but this is the plan: https://community.ubuntu.com/t/suppo...on-mir-servers

Leave a comment:

• GizmoChicken
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    I'm not sure how much integration Mir has with Wayland, but this sounds awfully abstracted. Going from Mir to Wayland to Xwayland just to run an X11 app sounds like a terrible idea. That's of course assuming this is how it actually works.
    As tildearrow explained, Mir is now a Wayland compositor.

Note that "Once Mir’s support for Wayland clients is on a par with the support for “native” Mir clients we will likely phase out support for the latter."

And that's beginning to happen. For example, as explained in the UBports forums, "Applications should use Wayland to connect to Unity8."

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    I'm not sure how much integration Mir has with Wayland, but this sounds awfully abstracted. Going from Mir to Wayland to Xwayland just to run an X11 app sounds like a terrible idea. That's of course assuming this is how it actually works.
    Mir is now a Wayland compositor. The Mir protocol is pretty much dead.

(I can only be wrong if they are implementing Wayland via the Mir protocol, which I doubt is the case)

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic Mir Working On X11 Support Via XWayland

Mir Working On X11 Support Via XWayland

Phoronix: Mir Working On X11 Support Via XWayland

UBports developer Marius Gripsgard is working on adding X11 support to Mir by means of XWayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X