Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sway 1.0 Reaches Alpha For This Popular Wayland Compositor

Phoronix: Sway 1.0 Reaches Alpha For This Popular Wayland Compositor

The Sway Wayland Compositor that is known for its compatibility and inspiration from the i3 tiling window manager is nearly out with its version 1.0 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

They've implemented primary clipboard, yay! One less Wayalnd blocker for me.

Now I'm wondering how's Compose configurations on Wayland. Can't live without "Compose + - + space" for "— ", and similar stuff.

Comment

/me wanted to give it a try, but Archlinux's json-c is too new, and Sway fails to compile. Oh, well.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
        They've implemented primary clipboard, yay! One less Wayalnd blocker for me.
        How'd the do that? 'Cause every time this is mentioned people keep saying it's something that's missing from Wayland itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

How'd the do that? 'Cause every time this is mentioned people keep saying it's something that's missing from Wayland itself.
          Yeah, when Wayland was initially designed, devs forgot about that part. Fortunately Red Hat later have added it, so with Gnome-on-Wayland your experience should be good. Now it's only the question of being picked up by other compositors.

Sway have recently migrated to wlroots library, which does support primary clipboard.
          Last edited by Hi-Angel; 08 April 2018, 12:22 PM. Reason: link to the xml of the protocol

Comment

Yeah, when Wayland was initially designed, devs forgot about that part. Fortunately Red Hat later have added it, so with Gnome-on-Wayland your experience should be good. Now it's only the question of being picked up by other compositors.

Sway have recently migrated to wlroots library, which does support primary clipboard.
            Devs didn't forget it.

It's a feature of Wayland. To have an expandable protocol.

Comment

They didn't forget it, it was deliberately designed that way from inception. One of the core tenets of Wayland is security, and the Wayland devs knew that kind of thing belongs in the compositor for security reasons. Fedora / Gnome has supported a clipboard for a long time now.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post

They didn't forget it, it was deliberately designed that way from inception. One of the core tenets of Wayland is security, and the Wayland devs knew that kind of thing belongs in the compositor for security reasons. Fedora / Gnome has supported a clipboard for a long time now.
                Oh yeah? Isn't that wonderful, that secondary clipboard haven't been the concern, whilst the primary one have been. Please remind me, what the difference? The hotkey?

Comment

I have tried using it, but unfortunately it seems it is unsupported by display managers so i did not want to bother with it further. I know there are ways to get it running but those seem more bothersome than just using a DM.

Comment

Originally posted by makam View Post
                    I have tried using it, but unfortunately it seems it is unsupported by display managers so i did not want to bother with it further. I know there are ways to get it running but those seem more bothersome than just using a DM.
                    Just checked, it's both in sddm and gdm on Archlinux. If you have installed it from a repository, and don't see it appearing in a DM, report a packaging bug.

Comment

Working...
                    X