EGMDE: The Example Mir Desktop Environment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GizmoChicken View Post

No reason why they can't? If you say so. But what's the reason why the aren't?
    Manpower? Priorities? I mean: sure, having a base like Mir or Enlightenment's window manager is great, but *someone* still needs to do the porting and given the fact that small projects only have a few devs usually, they might not see Wayland as a priority, esp. when most of the major DE's with lots of manpower haven't even fully switched yet, let alone that distros actually provide a Wayland session by default. So they might not be in a hurry to port to Wayland, no matter what their window manager base will be.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
      Manpower? Priorities? I mean: sure, having a base like Mir or Enlightenment's window manager is great, but *someone* still needs to do the porting and given the fact that small projects only have a few devs usually, they might not see Wayland as a priority, esp. when most of the major DE's with lots of manpower haven't even fully switched yet, let alone that distros actually provide a Wayland session by default. So they might not be in a hurry to port to Wayland, no matter what their window manager base will be.
      As I mentioned in response to your previous queries, "I honestly don't know much about Enlightenment's window manager, or whether it could be a good drop-in replacement for use by MATE and other smaller DE development groups." However, glancing at what I assume to be the Enlightenment website, I noticed the following statement:
      "The project is currently transitioning from X11 to Wayland. We are fully committed to moving to Wayland eventually, as its the future of graphical display layers on Linux."

So, it seems to me that at least one reason that nobody is using Enlightenment as a Wayland compliant compositor is that Enlightenment isn't yet ready to be used as Wayland compliant compositor. Am I wrong?

In any case, I also noted the following statement on that website:
      "Enlightenment started out way back in 1996 as a project to build a Window Manager for X11. It has grown much more since then."

With regard to KWin, I previously wrote the following:
      "Also, and not to knock KWin, but KWin was originally written for X11 and has been heavily modified to allow it to act as a Wayland-compliant compositor. In comparison, although Mir wasn't initially written to comply with the Wayland protocol, Mir was written from the ground up to achieve goals that are consistent with the goals of the Wayland protocol. So adapting the Mir display server to be Wayland compliant may be more straightforward than what's been required, thus far, to adapt KWin and Mutter to be Wayland-compliant compositors."

So, it seems to me that, even if Enlightenment currently could be used as Wayland compliant compositor (like KWin currently can be used), Enlightenment, like KWin, would suffer from been heavily modified to allow it to act as a Wayland compliant compositor. Whether that's a big problem, I don't know. But even the folks at KWin acknowledge this to be less than ideal.

If you want to cheer for a competitor of Mir, why not cheer for wlroots?

Comment

Working...
      X