Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wayfire Is A New Wayland Compositor That Supports Desktop Cube, Expo & Other Plugins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weasel
    replied
    Does it have zoom like Compiz? With ability to LOCK the screen after zooming in (so that moving to the edge doesn't move the screen), because that's one of my main reasons for using Compiz in the first place.

Leave a comment:

• Luke
    replied
    I was able to get this running, but was unable to deactivate the "rotate" effect and unable to get the cube and expo plugins to respond. Was able to switch workspaces though, with that looking like the old "wall" as opposed to "cube" desktop setup for compiz.

EDIT: I was finally able to disable rotate by removing from the list of installed plugins, and got the background image showing (background was commented out in the default .ini file and I did not catch that). This is brand-new though so bugs are no surprise nor is the lack of such features as a GUI configuration editor etc. LOTS of potential here
    Last edited by Luke; 03-23-2018, 10:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• RelaxTrolls
    replied
    Originally posted by IliaB View Post

Hi, as you said it wasn't mature enough, did you encounter bugs/crashes? I'd be very thankful if anyone interested in the project could test and report bugs, as I alone cannot test all configurations.
    ya, I might be interested in participating in testing and repieting bugs - I've actually starred / I am watching you on github...

I think in the next few days, I'll try to construct a functional desktop using wayfire with a few other bits, then go from there...

Leave a comment:

• IliaB
    replied
    Originally posted by RelaxTrolls View Post
    well, i compiled wayfire and gave it a spin. I'm not sure that it's quite mature enough for my use yet, but i'm intrigued... it reminds me of compiz, which I used for years...

i used to like cooking up my own session; compositor + panel/dock and then tune it's behaviour to my liking. It would be nice to have something similar on Wayland.

who knows, it could possibly replace gnome-shell for me, one day...
    Hi, as you said it wasn't mature enough, did you encounter bugs/crashes? I'd be very thankful if anyone interested in the project could test and report bugs, as I alone cannot test all configurations.

Leave a comment:

• RelaxTrolls
    replied
    well, i compiled wayfire and gave it a spin. I'm not sure that it's quite mature enough for my use yet, but i'm intrigued... it reminds me of compiz, which I used for years...

i used to like cooking up my own session; compositor + panel/dock and then tune it's behaviour to my liking. It would be nice to have something similar on Wayland.

who knows, it could possibly replace gnome-shell for me, one day...

Leave a comment:

• boxie
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

KDE also supports wobbly windows.
    /me waves from the land of neon

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by ThanosApostolou View Post

I think he is referring to what Wimpy said in the past, which is that it might be easier to teach MIR how to speak Wayland (work already in progress by other projects) and then use MIR which already has many tools like session management, screenshot utility, etc... instead of implementing everything from scratch.
    Yes, thank you! That's what I meant

Leave a comment:

• Luke
    replied
    Post unapproved again: This would be one heck of a mate-session. Need a way to connect windows to panel, and either a new canvas for the desktop icons or run that (and only that) in Xwayland. Get the X-specific code out of all else, use indicators only for the tray applets. Bugs need to be out by the time distros start dropping X

Leave a comment:

• Luke
    replied
    I think a MATE session based on this would ultimately be one hell of a big deal: like GNOME 2 on compiz at its best, but in Wayland instead of X. Run the desktop icons in an Xwayland window (that can be done now), splitting the code out of Caja so navigation windows can be native Wayland windows. Alternately write a brand-new Wayland canvas, though GNOME thinks that is a major, major job. I think a new plugin would be needed to connect the windows to the panel taskbar/window list, unless something to implement that has been included in the core. Get the "X-isms" out of the panel code, and convert all tray icons to indicators so Xembed can be avoided.

It could take years to get all the bugs out of this, but X should be around more than long enough to cover that time. As long as a good Wayland/MATE session with the plugins so many of us love from compiz is reliable by the time distros start dropping X, the road forward is now open.

Leave a comment:

• waxhead
    replied
    Originally posted by IliaB View Post

I'm the author of Wayfire, and actually this is my goal To provide some common ground to implement lightweight DEs (as opposed to Gnome/KDE) and being able to share most of the code, as wlroots/libweston seem quite low-level for creating a simple compositor (IMHO)
    That is GREAT!! keep up the good work!
    I would love for XFCE to run on something like this. While I am not that into the 3d eyecandy I have to admit that the 3d cube is VERY practical as is is easy to keep track of what is where. I also really miss the Expo function which I sadly have to admit that even Win10 have gotten right. The last thing I miss from a productivity point of view is that with compiz it was possible to desaturate + lower the brightness of all, but the active window. That was VERY useful if you have tons of windows up at the same time.

So again , not into the 3d eyecandy just for fun , but when it serves a functional purpose I am all for it!

Wish you luck, and hope to see this in Debian for the next release cycle (or even in buster if you can make it!)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X