Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wayfire Is A New Wayland Compositor That Supports Desktop Cube, Expo & Other Plugins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well, i compiled wayfire and gave it a spin. I'm not sure that it's quite mature enough for my use yet, but i'm intrigued... it reminds me of compiz, which I used for years...

i used to like cooking up my own session; compositor + panel/dock and then tune it's behaviour to my liking. It would be nice to have something similar on Wayland.

who knows, it could possibly replace gnome-shell for me, one day...

Comment

Originally posted by RelaxTrolls View Post
      well, i compiled wayfire and gave it a spin. I'm not sure that it's quite mature enough for my use yet, but i'm intrigued... it reminds me of compiz, which I used for years...

i used to like cooking up my own session; compositor + panel/dock and then tune it's behaviour to my liking. It would be nice to have something similar on Wayland.

who knows, it could possibly replace gnome-shell for me, one day...
      Hi, as you said it wasn't mature enough, did you encounter bugs/crashes? I'd be very thankful if anyone interested in the project could test and report bugs, as I alone cannot test all configurations.

Comment

Originally posted by IliaB View Post

Hi, as you said it wasn't mature enough, did you encounter bugs/crashes? I'd be very thankful if anyone interested in the project could test and report bugs, as I alone cannot test all configurations.
        ya, I might be interested in participating in testing and repieting bugs - I've actually starred / I am watching you on github...

I think in the next few days, I'll try to construct a functional desktop using wayfire with a few other bits, then go from there...

Comment

I was able to get this running, but was unable to deactivate the "rotate" effect and unable to get the cube and expo plugins to respond. Was able to switch workspaces though, with that looking like the old "wall" as opposed to "cube" desktop setup for compiz.

EDIT: I was finally able to disable rotate by removing from the list of installed plugins, and got the background image showing (background was commented out in the default .ini file and I did not catch that). This is brand-new though so bugs are no surprise nor is the lack of such features as a GUI configuration editor etc. LOTS of potential here
          Last edited by Luke; 23 March 2018, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Does it have zoom like Compiz? With ability to LOCK the screen after zooming in (so that moving to the edge doesn't move the screen), because that's one of my main reasons for using Compiz in the first place.

Comment

Working...
            X