Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sethox View Post

Sources please..
    Games run (stuck) at 60 frames per second but feel and look extremely stuttery. Mouse and click latency is also noticeable in games, but not really on the desktop. This is even worse in wine, where additional Wayland/Xwayland bugs happen. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
      (is) The test utility is compliant with wayland standards? Or is it use xwayland?
      I had the exact same question...

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post

I had the exact same question...
        I'm sure no answer will be provided.

Comment

Wonder what graphics card was tested.

Comment

KWin also sporadically crashes on 5.12 on Xorg for me. On 5.11 I haven't had a single crash, but ever since the upgrade to 5.12, I've had a few. So I don't think it's due to Wayland, I think KWin just needs fixin' in general...

Comment

Martin responded https://blog.martin-graesslin.com/bl...on-benchmarks/

Comment

For me or is more important, that I can switch from a game to the desktop without input or graphic glitches than any benchmark performance. One thing that bothers me is that games can easily crash the Mesa and Linux graphic drivers and there is no proper reset.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
                  For me or is more important, that I can switch from a game to the desktop without input or graphic glitches than any benchmark performance. One thing that bothers me is that games can easily crash the Mesa and Linux graphic drivers and there is no proper reset.
                  This is always going to be an issue as long as the game is running "true fullscreen" due to the graphics card taking over the framebuffer completely if I understand it correctly.
                  If you have any issues with games running in borderless windowed mode however there's an issue with your DE/WM.
                  A lot of games I play have support for windowed mode but not borderless window mode, but luckily most tiling WMs have support for toggling the borders which solves this for me.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                    Gnome compositor on Wayland is limited to 60fps, leading to stuttery desktop with refreshrates above. This is not the case with KWin.
                    However, also KWin can't do anything against the XWayland limitation of 60fps, so X applications will stutter as well.
                    That is partly true, you can set it manually in case of higher refresh rates with CLUTTER_DEFAULT_FPS=120 for example, for 120Hz.

in reality GNOME on Wayland had and still has a lot of issues for gaming, and the frame-rate you saw on the FPS counter wasn't the final frame-rate you saw on the actual screen because xwayland on GNOME is actually locked to 60fps regardless of your monitors refresh rate and thus it throws away a lot of frames which were counted by the benchmark but never made it on screen.
                    But that is irrelevant for benchmarks tho, since benchmark measure game FPS, not the output you see, and dropping frames above 60 on 60Hz display (or frames above 120 on 120Hz) might be good idea, in theory you should see smooth picture close to the one that uses V-Sync without introducing input lag V-Sync does, because unneeded frames are just dropped and not shown on display.

There is a problem on wayland with mutter where it locks to 60Hz regardless of refresh rate you use, so that should be fixed for sure.

Comment

For me Gnome is simply unusable on Wayland atm. The most disturbing problem is constant mouse cursor lag where the cursor seems simply to stop for a fraction of a second and this is highly irritating. Let's call it stutter. This bug was introduced not too long ago, I think maybe with the 3.26.0 release. The Gnome devs just don't give a fuck about fixing bugs. They might be fixed when the problematic portion of code is re-written for another reason, but seems like their bug-fixes are more side effects than by intention.

Another prime example is actually on-topic. Gnome's WM does indeed un-redirect all fullscreen accelerated content like videos. Too bad it also crashes every single fucking time when that window is closed without dropping off fullscreen mode first. (Like via Alt-F4.) The first time only Mutter reboots (on Xorg, that is), but after the second time the whole desktop session crashes. Has not been fixed for months now.
                      Last edited by curfew; 25 February 2018, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X