Wayland 1.15 & Weston 4.0 Now Planned For Release In April

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cape View Post
    • Grabbing the whole screen is basically asking malevolent software to take advantage of. It's the DE itself that should provide such a functionality but after user auth. I believe KDE is going this way.
    • Same applies to mouse grabbing. A DE based solution with user auth must exist
    Yes the DE needs to implement it, but that doesn't mean that you can't have a common API to avoid the fragmentation.

• Global hotkeys are already implemented? All the hotkeys on my Wayland install works just fine for what I see
    Your KDE/Gnome hotkeys might work, but global hotkeys for recording applications to start recording or push-to-talk in skype/discord will not.

• Color settings are actually handled by the GPU drivers. On my nVidiar box, I use nvidia-settings to change them. Maybe there's a similar functionality for Intel? Either way, I don't see this as a Wayland related issue. In fact, I don't remember a Xorg equivalent of this.
    Interesting, didn't know that. In that case how would you be able to implement a "redshift" like application which works on all wayland compositors? Makes me wonder why gnome/kde didn't implement theirs in that manner then.

Also I believe that nvidia-settings is rather broken on Wayland because it uses lots of X features, but I could be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post

Yes the DE needs to implement it, but that doesn't mean that you can't have a common API to avoid the fragmentation.

Your KDE/Gnome hotkeys might work, but global hotkeys for recording applications to start recording or push-to-talk in skype/discord will not.

Interesting, didn't know that. In that case how would you be able to implement a "redshift" like application which works on all wayland compositors? Makes me wonder why gnome/kde didn't implement theirs in that manner then.

Also I believe that nvidia-settings is rather broken on Wayland because it uses lots of X features, but I could be wrong.
      KDE has a Redshift applet, available by default (that is: in the list of available default widgets) on both Xorg and Wayland. And GNOME's Night Light also works on Wayland (at least last time I tried it with the 3.26.1 release).

Comment

Oh, it's more than that! It basically doesn't work at all. You would need to use nuveau to beam up a Wayland session on nVidear but yeh... garbage (FU nV)

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

KDE has a Redshift applet, available by default (that is: in the list of available default widgets) on both Xorg and Wayland. And GNOME's Night Light also works on Wayland (at least last time I tried it with the 3.26.1 release).
          Re-read my post.

I am complaining about that there is no common API for it, not about that it doesn't work.

Comment

Re-read my post.

I am complaining about that there is no common API for it, not about that it doesn't work.
            Okay, so then GNOME and KDE are using ugly hacks to get it running? 'Cause if there's no common API, then all they can do is come up with ugly hacks...

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
              Okay, so then GNOME and KDE are using ugly hacks to get it running? 'Cause if there's no common API, then all they can do is come up with ugly hacks...
              I'm not saying it's ugly hacks, I'm just saying that it's unnecessary fragmentation.
              A good first step would be to actually start a dialogue.
              As more time passes more wayland compositors will start implementing their own APIs for controlling this.

Comment

Originally posted by slacka View Post
                Any progress on Wayland provide the functionality yet or Weston an API to standardize around for these basic Desktop functions:
                • To register global hotkeys
                After some digging it seems like there's a unstable draft for this in wayland-protocols.
                Has not been changed in 7 months though so it's likely that no compositor developer has taken any interest in it.

GitHub is where people build software. More than 100 million people use GitHub to discover, fork, and contribute to over 420 million projects.

Comment

Working...
                X