Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland 1.15 & Weston 4.0 Now Planned For Release In April

Phoronix: Wayland 1.15 & Weston 4.0 Now Planned For Release In April

Wayland 1.15 and the Weston 4.0 compositor had been planned for release in February but Wayland developers decided there was still enough material on the verge of landing that they decided to delay the release. A new release schedule has now been put forward for getting these updates out in April...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Any progress on Wayland provide the functionality yet or Weston an API to standardize around for these basic Desktop functions:
    • To grab the (whole) screen, needed for screenshot/screen sharing apps.
    • To query the position of the mouse, needed for apps like Screenruler
    • To register global hotkeys
    • To modify resolution, color space, and gamma properties of the whole screen needed for apps like Redshift, gamma in games, and ARandR like apps.
    Last edited by slacka; 12 February 2018, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by slacka View Post
      Any progress on Wayland provide the functionality yet or Weston an API to standardize around for these basic Desktop functions:
      • To modify resolution, color space, and gamma properties of the whole screen needed for apps like Redshift, gamma in games, and arand like apps.
      Well, KDE has it's screenshot app "spectacle" working just fine, and their redshift tool build-in is a Wayland exclusive feature, I beleive.

Comment

Originally posted by lunarcloud View Post

Well, KDE has it's screenshot app "spectacle" working just fine, and their redshift tool build-in is a Wayland exclusive feature, I beleive.
        I know some DE's are coming up with their own stopgap replacements. But that's wasn't what I was asking. I asked if there was a stardard in the works to avoid fragmentation.

These are essential basic desktop functions that X11, Windows and OS X have provided for years now. Your KDE screenshot tool isn't going to do me any good under GNOME and vice versa. It's also not going to help me screencast either.
        Last edited by slacka; 12 February 2018, 02:31 PM.

Comment

• To modify resolution, color space, and gamma properties of the whole screen needed for apps like Redshift, gamma in games, and ARandR like apps.
          These are all things that each compositor should implement, not the protocol.

Comment

2030 the year of wayland

Comment

In order to do that in a compositor-independent way we need a mechanism to specify app permissions à la Android. This would probably involve something like Flatpak for running desktop applications under different user ids, and a permission framework which doesn't currently exist AFAIK.
              Last edited by amehaye; 12 February 2018, 04:00 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Originally posted by amehaye View Post

In order to do that in a compositor-independent way we need a mechanism to specify app permissions à la Android. This would probably involve something like Flatpak for running desktop applications under different user ids, and a permission framework which doesn't currently exist AFAIK.
                I have no issues with Wayland, but after reading your comment, I can't help but think:

Then perhaps such frameworks should have been implemented first before pushing for Wayland.

I realize there may be a chicken-egg type of problem here, but it seems like maybe some of these frameworks could be implemented alongside X11 so that when the time came to switch to Wayland, there wouldn't be a reduction in functionality.

Comment

• Grabbing the whole screen is basically asking malevolent software to take advantage of. It's the DE itself that should provide such a functionality but after user auth. I believe KDE is going this way.
                  • Same applies to mouse grabbing. A DE based solution with user auth must exist
                  • Global hotkeys are already implemented? All the hotkeys on my Wayland install works just fine for what I see
                  • Color settings are actually handled by the GPU drivers. On my nVidiar box, I use nvidia-settings to change them. Maybe there's a similar functionality for Intel? Either way, I don't see this as a Wayland related issue. In fact, I don't remember a Xorg equivalent of this.

Comment

I know some DE's are coming up with their own stopgap replacements. But that's wasn't what I was asking. I asked if there was a stardard in the works to avoid fragmentation.

These are essential basic desktop functions that X11, Windows and OS X have provided for years now. Your KDE screenshot tool isn't going to do me any good under GNOME and vice versa. It's also not going to help me screencast either.
                    Wayland is not a replacement for X. From now there won't be xserver with a plugin for managing windows, in Wayland world there will be a number of different display servers which share a common limited protocol which allow apps to display windows. DEs now will be like browsers and apps like sites. Snapped/flatpaked apps will work within isolated environment unable to harm your data or other apps. That why wayland was left very feature-limited, for other things there will be other protocols. Or no protocols at all, feature may be limited to DE extensions or to DE itself only.

Comment

Working...
                    X