Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenSUSE Leap 15 Will Ship With Plasma Wayland Option

Phoronix: OpenSUSE Leap 15 Will Ship With Plasma Wayland Option

This summer's release of openSUSE Leap 15 that is currently in beta and built off the sources of SUSE Linux Enterprise 15 will feature a KDE Plasma on Wayland option...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And still no egl-wayland support.

Comment

Developer's opinion about this is clear, perhaps you should read it.

Comment

There are still issues to fix. Afer few minutes using Plasma 5.12 with Wayland session I saw: No global menu, big cursor on native Wayland apps, borderless and full screen apps can't cover Plasma panel (for example - full screen application list cannot cover panel). But it's working pretty stable, which is good. Little improvements and Plasma Wayland will be ready to desktop use (well, no if You have Nvidia). Nice work KDE devs.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
          And still no egl-wayland support.
          They are still waiting for your help.

Comment

Just yesterday I tested on KDE Neon - Plasma 5.12 Wayland session and I am extremely satisfied. I had a few minor incidents with some applications, but the basic system now works very well. The problem on openSUSE is Yast that on Wayland can not be started normally, they should solve this problem which is the main reason why on openSUSE I do not use wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              They are still waiting for your help.
              Still waiting. I'm not a programmer.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
                Just yesterday I tested on KDE Neon - Plasma 5.12 Wayland session and I am extremely satisfied. I had a few minor incidents with some applications, but the basic system now works very well. The problem on openSUSE is Yast that on Wayland can not be started normally, they should solve this problem which is the main reason why on openSUSE I do not use wayland.
                Some weeks ago I tested openSUSE tumbleweed as well, but Yast and the dependency hell of legacy toolkits let me just wipe it again from the disk. Yast seem to really need some work. A Plasma Wayland session looked much worse because of Yast than I'm used to from other distro's.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post

Some weeks ago I tested openSUSE tumbleweed as well, but Yast and the dependency hell of legacy toolkits let me just wipe it again from the disk. Yast seem to really need some work. A Plasma Wayland session looked much worse because of Yast than I'm used to from other distro's.
                  All graphic applications that need to be started by root are a problem on Wayland, it's not just a problem with Yast, try opening Gparted and it will be the same. Plasma 5.12 has just arrived in Tumbleweed, so you'll have tried an older version.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
                    Still waiting. I'm not a programmer.
                    Stupid excuse. When you need to fix plumbing or electrical issues you just wait for them to fix themselves and whine at regular intervals or you hire someone to do so?

We are in 21st century, things like bounties, crowdfundings and Patreon are a thing.

Comment

Working...
                    X