OpenSUSE Leap 15 Will Ship With Plasma Wayland Option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Stupid excuse. When you need to fix plumbing or electrical issues you just wait for them to fix themselves and whine at regular intervals or you hire someone to do so?

We are in 21st century, things like bounties, crowdfundings and Patreon are a thing.
    There are a few KDE bugs that I would pay a bounty to be fixed, where can I go to do that?
    For instance while I watch a movie the screen locks (I really miss Mate inhibitor widget) and the keyboard layout is very buggy, layout indicator shows a keyboard instead of the language and switching between layouts is messed up.

Comment

Stupid excuse. When you need to fix plumbing or electrical issues you just wait for them to fix themselves and whine at regular intervals or you hire someone to do so?

We are in 21st century, things like bounties, crowdfundings and Patreon are a thing.
      I mostly don't comment on this forum but that's the stupidest reply I ever seen so you forced me to login.

So you say when you use a new car, fresh from factory and something is broken you hire engineers and help the manufacturer fix the issue instead of blaming the factory?

And when you buy a beer and it tastes awful you hire people and help the brewery fix their beer?

That's most stupid thing I ever saw here so congratulations. I wonder how high is IQ of guys that gave you a like.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post

All graphic applications that need to be started by root are a problem on Wayland, it's not just a problem with Yast, try opening Gparted and it will be the same. Plasma 5.12 has just arrived in Tumbleweed, so you'll have tried an older version.
        I had these issues as well with gparted and Gsmartcontrol, independently from Plasma 5.11 or 5.12. Yast is still based on several legacy toolkits and for me personally openSUSE tumbleweed had way too much of them. On my Arch Linux boxes I could simply replace what doesn't work, Gparted -> KDE-Partitionmanager, Gsmartcontrol -> command line, ... so I have no Qt4/Gtk2 installed anymore. So from my point of view openSUSE still needs a lot of work for Wayland and I hope that the users will not mix that experience there with Plasma 5.12.

Comment

Originally posted by Ezio21 View Post

I mostly don't comment on this forum but that's the stupidest reply I ever seen so you forced me to login.

So you say when you use a new car, fresh from factory and something is broken you hire engineers and help the manufacturer fix the issue instead of blaming the factory?

And when you buy a beer and it tastes awful you hire people and help the brewery fix their beer?

That's most stupid thing I ever saw here so congratulations. I wonder how high is IQ of guys that gave you a like.
          "when you buy a beer" Opensuse is free. Well I liked the comment because I would actually consider just paying for Suse subscription. I can even call 24x7 and whine.
          https://www.suse.com/shop/desktop/#subnav You might want to rethink that "I wonder how high is IQ of guys that gave you a like." , since nobody owes you their time in this life and people are free to choose what they do with that time.

Comment

Okay so how much did this guy pay for his Linux system?

Comment

Is the car in your example opensource and given to you for exactly 0$?

Is also the beer opensource and gratis?

Because that's how opensource works. And the only thing that pushes opensource forwards are contributions from its users.

I'm quite frankly pissed when people act like something is long overdue, when they are in fact one of the reasons the thing is long overdue.

Comment

Would definitely want to try out Wayland finally, but because of two reasons I cannot.
                1) Gaming
                2) NVIDIA

Can at least try Wayland on my work laptop running Intel.

Comment

Getting back on topic (for a moment):

On Tumbleweed having tried this created disasters. (I'm writing this post from "inside" a new UserID, just created in order to reach an XFCE desktop. I'll TRY to logout and Login as my regular User, and set the session type back to KDE-X11 - but right now, even with autologin disabled on that user, it "locks up" into a Wayland Session without even presenting SDDM.)

I have two hardware characteristics which might be creating this behavior: First, my processor is and A-Series AMD with built-in R7 graphics. The AMD software stack might not be quite reliable; During this week, Tumbleweed has added and then 'pulled back" a new release of the GPU drivers, along with the corresponding mesa. But both versions failed miserably - The "newer, bad" stuff from 2018-02-06 displayed nothing but a mouse cursor (it tracked correctly and stopped movement at the 4 screen borders. The "pulled back" software in 2018-02-08 WAS capable of displaying and rotating "the desktop cube" - but all of the cube faces were black, withouth text or graphics. (No panels, no background, and no text -only the cube "cap" and "base" while the cube was invoked. Selecting a desktop went to total back every time.)
                  As another software issue, it's a bit weird and unfortunate, the SDDM chooses to run in "Wayland mode" before even offering the opportunity to choose any other session type. (GNOME, XFCE, Plasma on X11, etc. I've got a ton of alternate DE's).

My second hardware difference is uncommon, but not completely foreign to Linux Desktops: I own a QHD monitor, and (perhaps) everyone else tried using this on smaller "normal" displays, or fully scaled-back 4K monitors.

Time to go digging into those weird .kde configuration files on my messed-up User-ID, to see if I can find and remove the 'Wayland-is-now-Mandatory' stuff. My experience was (obviously) a near-total FAIL.

Comment

Originally posted by rickst29 View Post
                    Time to go digging into those weird .kde configuration files on my messed-up User-ID, to see if I can find and remove the 'Wayland-is-now-Mandatory' stuff. My experience was (obviously) a near-total FAIL.
                    Hmmm. After that post, I realized that the conversion fro X11 to Wayland was system-wide, because it also affected SDDM (the QML Display Manager). After running GDM into XFCE, I removed all KDE and QT packages, and then re-installed them. I selected to again use SDDM, but I'm still getting GDM - which works, and now correctly offers two kinds of "Plasma" Session logins (without an additional word to describe which one might be X11).

I tried the first one, and got trapped as before (resolved with Ctlr-Alt-F1, login and telinit 6). So I tried the second one - hoping for X11 - and got trapped AGAIN. Both of the GDM "Plasma Session" choices instantiate Wayland Sessions, due to some configuration spec which wasn't removed and replaced by reinstalling the packages.

I guess I'll be without KDE for a few months.... which is pretty much OK, because neither Plasma5 on X11, nor ANYTHING on Wayland offers the unique "Desktop Backgrounds" which I had with KDE4, and now have again with XFCE. For me, gaining back that "lost" feature is roughly a tie for loosing the cube and pinned desktop App settings. Lots of pain today, with no gains.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post

Still waiting. I'm not a programmer.
                      They're gonna have to wait a long time then....

Comment

Working...
                      X