XWayland Gets Initial Support For EGLStreams To Support NVIDIA's Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
    It's time for everyone to start ditching Nvidia hardware.
    (better but less probable version)

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

I think most of the issues were from the point of view of how to add support for other drivers, since lots of it is pretty nvidia specific and not well defined. But I believe it generally works on NVidia and if you're just targeting their drivers it should be ok.

Not really. KWin isn't going to support EGLStreams, so it's pretty irrelevant whether XWayland supports it or not. Just stick to AMD if you are KDE user.
      Yes, yes, I realize and know all of this. In fact, I pretty much still agree with the reasons given why kwin isn't going to support EGLStreams.

But it seems like EGLStreams is starting to pick up inertia (for better or for worse), where as I've been worried for some time that the new open source API isn't really going anywhere. There may not be much of a choice before too long.

I'd much rather have this new open source API that Nvidia would support too, but there doesn't seem to be any real work going into this new API:

The most recent updates are from 3 months ago! It really doesn't seem to getting much traction.

But there does seem to be some feedback and back and forth on the mesa-dev mailing list, so hopefully I'm wrong:

Comment

You all can thank Red Hat for supporting EGL Streams. Now they will force this shit on everyone. I can't wait to ditch Nvidia.

Comment

It's time for Linux users to start ditching Nvidia hardware.
          The 70's called they want their kernel back. 'Linux users' count me out Bye.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael
            Fortunately, that's now changing.
            Fortunately? Don't you really think that's a good thing, do you?

Comment

You have to pry my glorious NVidia 1080 from my dead cold hands. I couldn't care less for Wayland and Ubuntu realized that it's a piece of shit to support for 18.04 LTS release even though the protocol was released 9 years ago!

Comment

Originally posted by hiryu View Post

But there does seem to be some feedback and back and forth on the mesa-dev mailing list, so hopefully I'm wrong:
                https://lists.freedesktop.org/archiv...er/177632.html
                The last email in that list was dated 8 Dec. Doesn't look very encouraging to me.

Like what KWin's Martin said, I don't care whether it's EGLStreams or GBM. At the end of the day, I just want one de facto standard implementation. And if that is not possible, I'll go with the most widely used option. Which, as this time of writing, is GBM. Even if it means using the horrible Nouveau driver to do so.

But until there's a universal way to do screencasting on any Wayland compositor and DE with common tools like SSR and OBS, I (and many others, I believe) will be going to be stuck on X for a very, very long time. Green Recorder does not count; it's a Gnome-only solution and can only record Wayland sessions under Gnome.
                Last edited by Sonadow; 08 February 2018, 04:17 AM.

Comment

With more naive and demagogic claims like this open source will win. In 50 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoll View Post

You have to pry my glorious NVidia 1080 from my dead cold hands. I couldn't care less for Wayland and Ubuntu realized that it's a piece of shit to support for 18.04 LTS release even though the protocol was released 9 years ago!
                    Yeah, the people claiming Nvidia sucks are the Intel users with their weak ass pathetic GPUs and AMD with their multiple driver clusterfuck none of which is good.

Comment

Just did exactly that. Picked up an RX 580 in time for Linux 4.15 (cancelled my RX Vega order as after weeks and weeks there wasn't even an ETA available). If AMD could actually supply current generation hardware in a suitable timeframe they'd be the only reasonable option.

Comment

Working...
                      X