XWayland Gets Initial Support For EGLStreams To Support NVIDIA's Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XWayland Gets Initial Support For EGLStreams To Support NVIDIA's Driver

Phoronix: XWayland Gets Initial Support For EGLStreams To Support NVIDIA's Driver

With the NVIDIA proprietary driver continuing to only support EGLStreams for their Wayland support until the new "Unix device memory allocator" project pans out, one of the big limitations has been no XWayland support for running X11 applications. Fortunately, that's now changing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

since ubuntu 18.04 uses X and have backports after less than year is not a problem, finally someone understand nvidia rules and commands untill a propper(complete) alternative comes out, amd is almost there

Comment

It's time for Linux users to start ditching Nvidia hardware.

Comment

Nvidia 1 - Open source 0

Comment

1.20 will be ready when it's ready; it's going to be a massive update. Thanks to Ubuntu's excellent policy of updating the LTS graphics stack after each interim release, it may make it into 18.04.1 which is the suggested upgrade point for 16.04 users (or is that true only for server installs?).
          Last edited by timrichardson; 07 February 2018, 07:44 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Nvidia Rule. Opensource graphic drivers will always suck. 1.20 will make its way into fedora28 . Ajax already tests it in a side copr repo

Comment

So this is why it's always been "llvmpipe" when checking out driver info on Wayland while using the proprietary driver…

Comment

Wow, now there's a reason to actually use EGLStreams if I can use Steam, etc.

As a KDE user, I haven't cared about KDE not supporting EGLStreams since using EGLStreams would prevent me from gaming... But now I'm going to do a 180 on that.

Weren't there some issues with EGLStreams and Wayland? I think I read there were something like timing and/or synchronization issues? Maybe those were fixed? Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly and there's no issues? Even if there are unfixed issues they should be fixable anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by hiryu View Post

As a KDE user, I haven't cared about KDE not supporting EGLStreams since using EGLStreams would prevent me from gaming... But now I'm going to do a 180 on that.

Weren't there some issues with EGLStreams and Wayland? I think I read there were something like timing and/or synchronization issues? Maybe those were fixed? Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly and there's no issues? Even if there are unfixed issues they should be fixable anyway.
                  I think most of the issues were from the point of view of how to add support for other drivers, since lots of it is pretty nvidia specific and not well defined. But I believe it generally works on NVidia and if you're just targeting their drivers it should be ok.

Comment

Originally posted by hiryu View Post
                    Not really. KWin isn't going to support EGLStreams, so it's pretty irrelevant whether XWayland supports it or not. Just stick to AMD if you are KDE user.

Comment

Working...
                    X