• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post

par for the course for any phoronix forum thread
    Hey now, I've seen some that weren't... like, 2 or 3 at least! :-P

Comment

Originally posted by indepe View Post
      Calling Wayland "stable" has no substance as long as GPU support is lacking for one of the two main brands.
      I wish this forum had an unlike. The reason nVidia has no Wayland support has zero to do with Wayland and everything to do with implementation details in various Wayland compositors. nVidia decided to target a non-existing implementation detail and force everyone to implement it through sheer marketshare push. Whether or not they were right, it's still not really about Wayland stability but whether certain implementation details are chosen to be de facto standards

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
        Whether or not they were right, it's still not really about Wayland stability but whether certain implementation details are chosen to be de facto standards
        Yes it's not about stability per se. It is about supporting both brands, and as far as I can tell what nvidia wants is not unreasonable as long as one isn't too narrow-minded about it. That is what takes the wind out of Wayland's sail. Talking about stability is a substitute conversation.

Comment

Firefox is expected to have basic Wayland support in the upcoming version 59.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Firefox is expected to have basic Wayland support in the upcoming version 59.
            https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=635134
            Makes me wonder if Firefox is one of the primary reasons Ubuntu hasn't officially switched to Wayland yet. Either way, seems like FF has been making great progress ever since the Quantum release.

Comment

Calling Wayland "stable" has no substance as long as GPU support is lacking for one of the two main brands.
              Wayland doesn't require a GPU, and if it did, there are plenty of cards with open-source drivers to choose from.

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post

Wayland doesn't require a GPU, and if it did, there are plenty of cards with open-source drivers to choose from.
                Wayland is for computers without GPU ?
                Or you try to choose on behalf of the users, and it doesn’t work ?

Comment

Yes it's not about stability per se. It is about supporting both brands, and as far as I can tell what nvidia wants is not unreasonable as long as one isn't too narrow-minded about it. That is what takes the wind out of Wayland's sail. Talking about stability is a substitute conversation.
                  NVidia has said quite clearly that they already support Wayland just fine. So I'm not sure what you're talking about... KDE support? Or XWayland? XWayland is not the same thing as Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

NVidia has said quite clearly that they already support Wayland just fine. So I'm not sure what you're talking about... KDE support? Or XWayland? XWayland is not the same thing as Wayland.
                    Very funny. I suppose it's classified information.

Comment

Wayland is for computers without GPU ?
                      Or you try to choose on behalf of the users, and it doesn’t work ?
                      There's nothing in the protocol that requires a GPU. Enlightenment, for example, has a software compositor as well as a hardware one. At various points where I've broken my OpenGL setup on my CuBox ( armv7 SOC ), I've run Enlightenment/Wayland in software mode, and it actually works really well.

Comment

Working...
                      X