Igalia's Battle Getting Chromium Running Nicely On Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dkasak View Post

There's nothing in the protocol that requires a GPU. Enlightenment, for example, has a software compositor as well as a hardware one. At various points where I've broken my OpenGL setup on my CuBox ( armv7 SOC ), I've run Enlightenment/Wayland in software mode, and it actually works really well.
    I don't have a problem with the Wayland protocol, in principle, in fact I like everything I heard about it. And my guess would be that nvidia likes Wayland as well. It's not my place to point a finger at whatever the actual difficulty might be, but I don't think it is Wayland itself. I can say that Wayland with Gnome seemed to run well on an integrated Intel GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      Meaning what? Wayland itself is plenty stable - its the desktop environment implementations that leave much to be desired.

X compatibility isn't being replaced... So you can relax - there will be a fallback.
      bullshit. How to make OBS or blueshift work across desktop environments?

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
        bullshit. How to make OBS or blueshift work across desktop environments?
        I don't know what either of those are, or, how your question relates to what I said.

Comment

I don't know what either of those are, or, how your question relates to what I said.
          " its the desktop environment implementations that leave much to be desired."

OBS is a recording and streaming software, open source but used profressionally across the board for youtubers and twitch streamers. Its not replacable by some shitty random desktop environment recording software. This is why people who have no clue how consumers use software for productivity should comment on or design software. Oh it works for your workload that you can mostly do in your browser or console, like your shitty coding job? (Oh wait browsers dont even work natively)

Comment

OBS is a recording and streaming software, open source but used profressionally across the board for youtubers and twitch streamers. Its not replacable by some shitty random desktop environment recording software. This is why people who have no clue how consumers use software for productivity should comment on or design software. Oh it works for your workload that you can mostly do in your browser or console, like your shitty coding job? (Oh wait browsers dont even work natively)
            I still don't see the relevance. I didn't say to use desktop environment software, I'm saying the desktop environment is responsible for implementing Wayland correctly. Not a hard concept to grasp... Screen recording is independent of desktop environments and since Wayland is a different protocol, it is the responsibility of OBS and other applications to implement screen recording for Wayland. In other words, OBS is at fault, not Wayland. Sure, that's an inconvenience, but that doesn't justify the hissy-fit you're in.

Judging your childish attitude and obvious superiority complex, I'm confident you don't have enough viewers who care about your streams to have such elevated self-importance. So, get off your high horse and realize that you are not an average use case. Despite clarifying multiple times that I never said Wayland is wholly ready as a complete X replacement, it is you who decided to think I said otherwise. Not my problem you have comprehension issues. There's nothing wrong with sticking with X. I use X on my gaming PC, my work PC, and pretty much every Linux-based computer I use aside from my primary, because I know it isn't suitable for all of them. And yet, you don't hear me moaning about it.

BTW, there are browsers that work natively with Wayland, and even the ones that don't are still usable via Xwayland. For example, Chrome has been working very smoothly for while, and when it wasn't native I could barely tell the difference. The platform I use it on is a mobile i3, so, I would notice performance issues.
            Last edited by schmidtbag; 06 February 2018, 12:05 PM.

Comment

I still don't see the relevance. I didn't say to use desktop environment software, I'm saying the desktop environment is responsible for implementing Wayland correctly. Not a hard concept to grasp... Screen recording is independent of desktop environments and since Wayland is a different protocol, it is the responsibility of OBS and other applications to implement screen recording for Wayland. In other words, OBS is at fault, not Wayland. Sure, that's an inconvenience, but that doesn't justify the hissy-fit you're in.

Judging your childish attitude and obvious superiority complex, I'm confident you don't have enough viewers who care about your streams to have such elevated self-importance. So, get off your high horse and realize that you are not an average use case. Despite clarifying multiple times that I never said Wayland is wholly ready as a complete X replacement, it is you who decided to think I said otherwise. Not my problem you have comprehension issues. There's nothing wrong with sticking with X. I use X on my gaming PC, my work PC, and pretty much every Linux-based computer I use aside from my primary, because I know it isn't suitable for all of them. And yet, you don't hear me moaning about it.

BTW, there are browsers that work natively with Wayland, and even the ones that don't are still usable via Xwayland. For example, Chrome has been working very smoothly for while, and when it wasn't native I could barely tell the difference. The platform I use it on is a mobile i3, so, I would notice performance issues.
              Where is the wayland protocol for screen recording?

Comment

Where is the wayland protocol for screen recording?
                Why should I know? The last time I did screen recording, Wayland wasn't even a concept, so I have little to no interest in this ability. But, I do know there are tools for GNOME and Weston that allow for screen recording with Wayland. You can take screenshots in Wayland (even in KDE) so I don't see why screen recording isn't already possible.

Comment

Why should I know? The last time I did screen recording, Wayland wasn't even a concept, so I have little to no interest in this ability. But, I do know there are tools for GNOME and Weston that allow for screen recording with Wayland. You can take screenshots in Wayland (even in KDE) so I don't see why screen recording isn't already possible.
                  read my earlier post.

Comment

BTW, there are browsers that work natively with Wayland, and even the ones that don't are still usable via Xwayland. For example, Chrome has been working very smoothly for while, and when it wasn't native I could barely tell the difference.
                    Chrome doesn't run natively on Wayland yet. So you couldn't barely tell the difference, because there wasn't any.

Comment

When will chromium be compliant to wayland?

Comment

Working...
                      X