Igalia's Battle Getting Chromium Running Nicely On Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johanb View Post
    And a question not regarding the troll, how does Chrome run on ChromeOS?
    As far as I remember doesn't ChromeOS runs wayland or have i missed something?
    Runs pretty good in my experience (using an Exynos-based Chromebook). ChromeOS to my knowledge uses its own proprietary compositor; it isn't related to Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by UpsetingFact View Post
      Just to make sure about the "Stable" word: Stable means bug-free (to a certain extent; e.g 95%).
      I'll always mean that unless specified, as per the consensus that normal people means.
      Not the fake "stable" as "not moving" that should be called "staged" instead.

So, Wayland and Weston is of course staged for a while now, but I'm waiting for any actual implementations outside Gnome properly made.

Just because it worked for you doesn't mean it'll work for others. (let's call this point S)
      The fact that Ubuntu 18.04 won't default to Wayland says a lot, considering that they're the kinds to release something that isn't even at least 95% stable.

Stabilizing software without considering Wayland nowadays reduces fixes complexity, thus less possible errors. That also ensures fixes will be there on a stable fixed release for X instead of being spanned everywhere, which would force users to deal with new bugs.

Point S again, it's not paranoia over level of stability. If too much people gets problems and a big company not defaulting to Wayland, then problem there is.

And I'm using Intel drivers.
      KDe distros based on wayland are assumed to be stable in the next release, furthermore gnome distros based on wayland are already stable. This post is based on transition phase about chrome/chromium: the fact is that many programs are not ready for wayland and not the opposite.

Comment

It'll be nice to finally have a (decent) wayland native browser.

Comment

Until anything related to Wayland gets stable, it's not a good initiative for software to go for it.
          while you were living under rock, wayland is used in production for many years

Comment

Just to make sure about the "Stable" word: Stable means bug-free (to a certain extent; e.g 95%).
            what does that ever mean? only 5% of lines of code contain bugs?

Comment

While you were living under a shithole, Wayland wasn't used in production on a large scale with an actual implementation.

Comment

The fact that Ubuntu 18.04 won't default to Wayland says a lot,
                but not to you apparently. to everyone else it says a lot about ubuntu's mir failure

Comment

Wayland wasn't used in production on a large scale with an actual implementation.
                  imbecile does not know that chromeos and sailfish os use wayland? no surprise, but why imbecile is not aware of fedora's wayland by default?
                  btw, do these facts upset you now?
                  Last edited by pal666; 04 February 2018, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
                    I got my local Best Buy to price match MicroCenter so I’m typing this on my Wayland-free and systemd-free iPad Pro 10.5” though. Getting Chromium working is “not my problem!” 😘
                    "i was running 3 days after you to tell you how i don't care"

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post

There's still no standards/extensions/whatever for screen recording, screenshots, windowmanager metadata such as seeing which window is currently focused, color tinting etc.. That each wayland needs to re-implement this currently is in my opinion the dealbreaker, not stability which works fine and has done so for a while.
                      I have been testing Wayland on Fedora 25-27. and this list describes features that my apps depend on from X11 that are missing from Wayland. Take color management/RBG/gamma for example. This is a feature X11(along with all other OSs from Android to Windows to OS X) has provided for decades and is needed for everything from professional apps to Redshift like night color apps. Why has there been no attempt to provide such a basic and much demanded API? Now we're starting to see the compositors provide this functionality in a non-standard way ensuring that all the application that need this functionality have to be rewritten to target KWIN, Mutter , MIR, ... fracturing the linux ecosystem that was once united around X11.

Wayland's lack of action is hurting the linux community.
                      Last edited by slacka; 04 February 2018, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X