No announcement yet.

Purism Might Develop An X11-Free Wayland Compositor Aligned With GNOME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is VERY ambitious. I have high doubts they'll be able to pull that through. Gnome started transitioning to Wayland back when Mir was just announced and they still aren't 100% done. So how will Purism do it in a year? Yeah, the XWayland compatibility is a lot of work that can be cut out, but it's still a lot of work even without XWayland.

Comment

Originally posted by marciosr View Post

Here is the reason:
      "To sum it up, there are a number of problem areas that needs new solutions.
      1. Low latency input forwarding
      2. Low latency visual input event feedback (pointer cursor movement)
      3. Low latency & zero copy client content forwarding (scan-out of client buffer)
      4. Input methods in the shell UI
      5. Stalls on the main thread stalls compositor frame redraws "
      https://wiki.gnome.org/Initiatives/W...ll/GnomeShell4
      Thank you marciosr

Still seems like they could just clean-up mutter instead of rewriting everything, unless mutter is in that bad of condition. Which might be the cases considering gnome-shell and mutter are tied to the hip. Maybe writing a generic libmutter library first then working on gnome-shell might actually be the best solution... Also having a gtk based UI instead of the current approach would also be nice...

If they can pull it off in a year would be a major win for both Purism and all other distros that ship gnome-shell.

Comment

Big mistakes start with bad ideas: http://wingolog.org/archives/2008/06...e-of-decadence
        Now is time to correct.

Comment

I want to buy a Purism Librem 5 so bad I can taste it, but with HUGE decisions like this being taken in, what amounts to, the 11th hour, I am beginning to have sincere doubts! Gnome Vs. KDE does not matter nearly as much to me from a userland stand point as Freedom does!

Please Do Not Screw This UP!!

Comment

What has held back wayland on the desktop is in essence compatibility with the features that 30 years of X11 has given. That is no small job.
            Mostly because many of these X11 features are in conflict with the security principles that are needed for a modern compositor.
            On a phone this isn't needed as much as on the desktop. In fact a phone OS can easily live without X11 support.

I can actually see why this might be a good idea.
            It might even be a fork of gnome-wayland just without all the X11 stuff.

Comment

I hope the Gnome guys, together with Purism chose the more drastical approach on reworking mutter to get this right, finally. This would explain the wording. And breaking extensions is not that much of a downside to me, since actively maintained extensions should adapt quickly. And I hope that extensions get jailed somewhat, too, since I hate them breaking my shell. -.-

Comment

What about http://www.hardkernel.com/main/produ...=G145457216438 or it isn't open enough?

Comment

For the Purism Librem 5 backers, you might want to take a look at this post. https://forums.puri.sm/t/librem-5-de...t-efforts/2373

I shared my thoughts on the Purism forums regarding desktops/development. If you backed and want to contribute to the discussion, this might be a good opportunity seeing it is early on in the Librem 5's development process.

-Numeric
                  Purism and Purism Community, First off, before venturing down this discussion, I would like to say meaningful thank you to Purism and the Librem 5 backers for pursuing a truly open phone. This is a major step forward fo…

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
                    not a single wayland client works well
                    Have you not used SailfishOS?

Comment

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
                      Brilliant idea! While all you crowdfunding peeps wait for your phones and tablets I'm gonna drive two hours to Micro Center tomorrow to buy a shiny new iPad Pro 10.5 with six core A10X CPU and 120 Hz screen for $499 (list $650) though.

Best thing about iOS is it doesn't use Wayland or systemd. Heck, that's what I like most about Android too. LOL
                      Must be hard to post while sucking yourself off.

Comment

Working...
                      X